This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My laptop with Zorin does not see my windows network

ynze

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:43:02 am

Hello,
although I have worked with unix in the past, that was a 100% unix workstation in a unix network.

Since then I've switched to windows. I'm therefore a newbe and apologize for asking maybe stupid questions.

I have now installed Zorin on my laptop. I'm very happy with that, apart from the fact that I cannot see my windows home network. I can see my NAS but no printers and no pc's.

Can anybody help me and point me to a place where I can find all the info to solve these kind of issues.

Thanx

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:21:30 pm

Regarding Windows PCs:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1038630 ... untu-18-04

Is the printer attached to a Windows PC or router? The add printer configuration utility gives several networking options - I find the HP Jet Direct option the best option when it comes to networked printers. But we need to know the topology of how the printer/s is/are situated on the network.
;) :D

ynze

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:38:08 pm

Thanx I will have a look at it.

The printer is connected though the wifi.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:07:00 am

Make and model of Printer please! :D

ynze

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:42:33 pm

Canon MX495
;)

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:50:52 pm

OK that is very strange as I have a Canon TS-8151 and also via router and gets picked up pretty much instantly. Got to be Dad's Taxi now. Back later.

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:33:15 am

Hi. Open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo system-config-printer

you will be prompted for your password.

Click on Add Printer, then select the HP/Jet direct option for network printer and click on continue (you will need to enter IP address assigned to printer before you can select Continue).

Then choose Canon then scroll down to MX490 - that is the nearest model included in the printer drivers. If you want the specific printer driver for Linux for your particular model:

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consume ... %20(64-bit)

This will download a .deb package - extract the .deb package using Archive manager - inside you should see 32-bit and 64-bit folders open the 64-bit and install the .deb package from there. Now repeat the steps for system-config-printer and you should see MX-495 listed. ;) :D

ynze

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:53:41 pm

Got it thnx