This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Is there any way to turn off window previews?

Moloch1994

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:06:02 pm

Basically the question's in the title. I find those window previews that appear, when you hover your mouse over opened windows on the panel, very annoying. I wish there was a way to disable them, but I couldn't find a solution online. Solutions for regular Gnome don't work here, I guess because of its Zorin panel extensions.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:27:45 pm

You could open 'Tweaks' and turn on Zorin Dash instead of the panel which is more configurable?:

ZorinDash.jpg

Then turn off Panel and System Tray in Tweaks then move Zorin Dash to where you want as a workaround? ;) :D

Aravisian

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:50:17 am

Now, I say, that is a real nifty theme in that screenshot.

Moloch1994

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:39:04 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:You could open 'Tweaks' and turn on Zorin Dash instead of the panel which is more configurable?:
Then turn off Panel and System Tray in Tweaks then move Zorin Dash to where you want as a workaround? ;) :D

Not really an option for me tbh. I'm seeking a Windows-like experience, especially closer to XP. I find the previews as a minor annoyance, and would rather tolerate them than use Dash, which is a very different interface altogether.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:15:47 pm

You could always install Cinnamon DE and use the XP theme:

download/file.php?id=6639&mode=view

Aravisian

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:26:42 pm

Gnome.
Yep, I said it.

At one time among the most customizable and look at it now...
I was sure this OP would have an answer that I just wouldn't know. No harm in asking... But if Gnome is so locked down that you cannot disable an annoying feature which is pretty basic for a Desktop Environment...

I tried extensive searches on the question and got nowhere.

Moloch1994

Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:32:40 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:You could always install Cinnamon DE and use the XP theme:

download/file.php?id=6639&mode=view

Don't really wanna make any big changes on this laptop. Right now I need functionality more than anything else, and don't wanna risk losing it. I'm hoping to buy a new computer this year and will probably use Cinnamon there.

Aravisian

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:31:59 pm

Swarf, I had found some gsettings that worked for Gnome Dash to dock that related to the window previews. Zorin calls it Zorin dash.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:48:53 pm

Hi Aravisian,

I think it is a respin of 'Unity Dash' but Gnome being the underlying bit anyways. Ubuntu tends to make their name as though they invented it - like when you boot ubuntu from live disk I really find it annoying that they state Ubuntu with Linux! Uh, Uh, Canonical, stop telling lies! :shock: :o

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:49:17 pm

Aravisian wrote:Now, I say, that is a real nifty theme in that screenshot.

Hmmm! I wonder who made it! :D