This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to install most current version of Wine on Zorin 15.1 Co

olegausany

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:52:14 pm

I have read online that you not longer include Wine in your distributions. Since in way more than 20 years of Linux existence there still no simple easy, suitable for end user way, to install software. I know that your software store has version 3.0 while Google search points to versions 4.xx and if I understand it correctly version 5 is already available . I have searched this forum before posting but got o results. So my queston is how can I install the most recent stable Version of Wine? I have tried to follow a tutorial I found online which should install it from official Wine website by copying and pasting commands to the terminal window but after installing a key I started receiving bunch of errors so wasn't successful so any help wilbe very appreciated

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:34:54 pm

Please read this thread thoroughly:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15343&hilit=+Wine ;) :D

Aravisian

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:25:01 pm

olegausany wrote:I have read online that you not longer include Wine in your distributions. Since in way more than 20 years of Linux existence there still no simple easy, suitable for end user way, to install software.

There is something particularly frustrating about trying to install something and having it go wrong. Whether you use MS or Linux or Mac.
I recall, not that long ago, using MS where when an installation went wrong, the best you could possibly hope for was some vague error message that looked less generic than the others that you could offer in both hands with large deep soulful eyes to someone in high hopes that they will help you.
There may be some developments in Linux that we can help to steer you toward. Once you start using the packaging systems, you may change your mind about Linux Installation methods.
You are correct that there is no Central Processing for all installations. Linux has great variety in packaging.
Linux has repositories and keys that allow distribution- but also create security.
But most importantly, many methods of installation on Linux tell you exactly what went wrong, where it went wrong and how to rectify it.
Users of Windows are used to ignoring the errors they see because they are unhelpful in Windows. But in Linux, those error messages are exactly what you need to know. Following what the error messages tell you in Linux invariably leads to either a solution or understanding what can and cannot be done.
olegausany wrote:I know that your software store has version 3.0 while Google search points to versions 4.xx and if I understand it correctly version 5 is already available .

The Ubuntu Software Center operates on the premise of only offering what has been rigorously tested. That is a fine thing for some software but for others, like Wine, the latest version is what must be pushed.
Software Center also has some known bugs. Admittedly, I use it very rarely. I prefer Synaptic or Terminal installs. I use Synaptic only when installing with terminal leads to too many dependencies to track down. And terminal is how I install the majority of software.
I complained bitterly and struggled heavily about installation when I first migrated to Linux. It took some effort to figure out how to use the very powerful tool that terminal is for installing software, but once a person gets the hang of it- it is informative, easy, efficient.
Which is why Linux continues to use it as a superior method- even when MS spoils users into being dependent on others.
olegausany wrote:I have searched this forum before posting but got no results.

The forum search function is broke and sucks rat nuts.
olegausany wrote:So my queston is how can I install the most recent stable Version of Wine? I have tried to follow a tutorial I found online which should install it from official Wine website by copying and pasting commands to the terminal window but after installing a key I started receiving bunch of errors so wasn't successful so any help will be very appreciated

Swarfendor linked to another thread with known working instructions - if you have any issues, please stop by this thread and ask about anything that isn't making sense. We will get you sorted out and running.

olegausany

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:21:26 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Please read this thread thoroughly:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15343&hilit=+Wine ;) :D

Thanks for the reply
So I followed the steps from the post you referring to and it got stuck on the last step saying

Media change: please insert the disc labeled
'Zorin-OS 15.1 Core 64bit'
in the drive '/media/cdrom/' and press [Enter]
Be aware that system was installed from usb drive which has ISO image, which was downloaded from the official site
So I inserted usb drive into the same usb port which was used to install the system and pressed enter but got the same prompt again
The drive is shown on the desktop with the expected volume label so any help will be very appreciated

carmar

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:09:40 pm

Installing GCDEmu will allow you to mount that image as your disc drive.

Go to: https://launchpad.net/~cdemu/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
In terminal: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cdemu/ppa
sudo apt-get update

olegausany

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:21:31 am

carmar wrote:Installing GCDEmu will allow you to mount that image as your disc drive.

Go to: https://launchpad.net/~cdemu/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
In terminal: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cdemu/ppa
sudo apt-get update

unfortunately installation of gcdemu is stuck with the same problem

Aravisian

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:57:36 am

Are you running Zorin with persistence from LiveCD from the USB?

olegausany

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:00:50 am

Aravisian wrote:Are you running Zorin with persistence from LiveCD from the USB?

no it is installed to SSD drive

Aravisian

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:36:00 pm

Can you run the following command in terminal,
Code:
sudo sed -i '/cdrom/d' /etc/apt/sources.list

and once that is done, start the installation process of Wine above again?

olegausany

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:42:24 pm

Aravisian wrote:Can you run the following command in terminal,
Code:

does it mean i have to repeat all steps from the beginning or only the last step where i got stuck?
Update: THANKS after runnung the specified command i completed the installation step only and it says i have wine 5.0 but how can i start using it?

Aravisian

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:54:34 pm

olegausany wrote:
Aravisian wrote:Can you run the following command in terminal,
Code:

does it mean i have to repeat all steps from the beginning or only the last step where i got stuck?

That's a smart question lol... From the last step should be fine as long as everything prior to it installed without any trouble. But if the prior commands did have trouble, you should repeat them. For example, the first command is to add the 32 bit architecture- you will need that later.
The others were to add the repository and to download some packages and as long as those are still in place, no need to repeat them.

carmar

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:15:46 pm

olegausany wrote:it says i have wine 5.0 but how can i start using it?

You just double-click a windows executable and it will ask you if you want to run it, agree, and it will run.