This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

battery low pop-up issue

voltairea

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:50:50 pm

How can I turn off these notifications about my mouse and keyboard? It appears so frequently

I have turned off every notification settings, I did my best :D But still pop-up appears... And I have been using them with the same battery for 2 months. 2 months is not low battery :D

Aravisian

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:57:49 pm

This is an Ubuntu Bad Decision.
What used to fix it, no longer does fix it in 18.04. So searching the net will often yield outdated 'fixes.'
I found this page:
https://wrgms.com/disable-mouse-battery ... ification/

And this bug report pointing out that this "feature" is over-zealous. A mouse battery can operate for months while Ubuntu considers it "low" and spams you without mercy.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1798166

star treker

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09:39 am

Yet another example of Ubuntu's overreach. Good find there Aravisian!

voltairea

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:34:45 pm

I ran away from Ubuntu's annoying error pop-ups to Zorin but still, Ubuntu found me. Well, It is time to accept my fate :roll: Thank you Aravisian

Aravisian

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:42:13 pm

voltairea wrote:I ran away from Ubuntu's annoying error pop-ups to Zorin but still, Ubuntu found me. Well, It is time to accept my fate :roll: Thank you Aravisian

Never accept your fate. ;)

Zorin is based off Ubuntu.

In a terminal, can you install dconf edior
Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-editor

Open dconf-editor, navigate to org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/power and scroll down to critical-battery-action.
Click on disable toggle for "use default value" and you can set a custom setting including "nothing."
I do not know if this will work- but it is worth a try for now.

voltairea

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:54:53 pm

Aravisian wrote:In a terminal, can you install dconf edior
Code:

Open dconf-editor, navigate to org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/power and scroll down to critical-battery-action.
Click on disable toggle for "use default value" and you can set a custom setting including "nothing."

I did it but it doesn't solve pop-up issue. Ruthless pop-ups still appear :D

Aravisian

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:28:27 pm

voltairea wrote:
Code:

Can you open a terminal and input
Code:
locate up-daemon.c:652

You may get nothing, but if it gives a location, we can try to modify that upower file.That would give a temporary bit of relief. And I do mean temporary. It'll revert itself back in short order.

The other option would be to try to remove upower entirely. Be warned- this would also remove ALL batter or Power related warnings. That is not scary to me... but to those that use notebooks on the go- it could be.
https://zoomadmin.com/HowToInstall/UbuntuPackage/upower

voltairea

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:44:08 pm

Aravisian wrote:Can you open a terminal and input
Code:
locate up-daemon.c:652

You may get nothing, but if it gives a location, we can try to modify that upower file.That would give a temporary bit of relief. And I do mean temporary. It'll revert itself back in short order.

nothing happened after that command. I will try to endure the notifications. Maybe patience and suffering are gonna increase my wisdom. Yeah, I am talking about yin and yang :|

Aravisian

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:58:35 pm

voltairea wrote:
Code:

What about use-time-for-policy setting?

star treker

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:37:19 pm

voltairea wrote:Well, It is time to accept my fate

No fate, but what we make for ourselves. A man by the name of John Connor said that, and as it turns out, he was right. ;)