This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Optimus graphics switching

tl5k5

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:34:37 pm

I've had Pop OS installed on a laptop for about 1 year. I used Zorin back at v12 and wondering if Zorin 15 Ultimate and/or Lite has Optiums graphic switching integration. I have a new laptop coming and might like a change, but the switching and a long lasting battery must be there.
https://support.system76.com/articles/g ... witch-pop/

Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:12:10 am

I'm not sure if Zorin has that kind of setup at the moment. Enjoying FerenOS (Kubuntu basically = KDE instead of Gnome) on older kit. Boots fast and has Compositor to reduce tearing which I have used successfully on a rig I built ages ago (MSI K8T Athlon 3700+ Processor with only 2 Gb RAM and EVGA 256 Mb AGP nvidia Graphics. Also on this Notebook (See Off Topic | Other OS's discussion board. You get to choose the best compositor for your system - default is OpenGL 2 with 2 other options of xrender and OpenGL 3.1. xrender worked out best on the old desktop from 2006. ;) :D

D830.jpg

ThanosFish

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:04:04 pm

tl5k5 wrote:I've had Pop OS installed on a laptop for about 1 year. I used Zorin back at v12 and wondering if Zorin 15 Ultimate and/or Lite has Optiums graphic switching integration. I have a new laptop coming and might like a change, but the switching and a long lasting battery must be there.
https://support.system76.com/articles/g ... witch-pop/

Thanks!

It does not. I just switch between Intel Prime and Nvidia graphics via Nvidia settings menu. It works for me.

P.S Damn FerenOS looks slick!

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:19:04 am

Hi, re comment on FerenOS - on the plus side it is easier on older kit - updated her ladyship's computer that I built with a motherboard dated 2006 (AMD Athlon 3700 processor, 2 Gb DDR2 RAM, and an EVGA nVidia chipped AGP 8x Graphics. Sending this via FerenOS on Dell Latitude D830. I didn't have an issue with the Installer (Calamares) as explained by the FerenOS dev on his site (you can't partition or it falls over during install) by putting on MX Linux 19 on first then using the '/' to put FerenOS on, leaving /home intact. (2.4 Ghz with 2 Gb RAM) which originally had Windows XP on it. It is Feren OS as opposed to Feren OS Classic - Classic uses Cinnamon. :D

Where it isn't slick are the desktop widgets - you have to be careful where you place them and you cannot move or resize, only remove, once added.