This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Resolved] Help with TaskBar please

gerj52

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:29:55 pm

Just installed Zorin 15.1 and want to access Evolution from the taskbar/panel. Only problem is ... it won't let me do it and I don't see anywhere that will let me. Help please. Thank you.

Aravisian

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:33:13 pm

gerj52 wrote:Just installed Zorin 15.1 and want to access Evolution from the taskbar/panel. Only problem is ... it won't let me do it and I don't see anywhere that will let me. Help please. Thank you.

This is a pretty decent write up on how to add an item to the Gnome Panel.
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-create-d ... aver-linux

gerj52

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:22:06 am

Thanks for the reply Aravisian, couldn't see where that links offered any help for Zorin so will continue to try and figure it out. Appreciate the advise though.

Aravisian

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:39:53 am

gerj52 wrote:Thanks for the reply Aravisian, couldn't see where that links offered any help for Zorin so will continue to try and figure it out.

Under the hood, Zorin 15 is Ubuntu 18.04. Ubuntu Bionic Beaver is the base, with the rest of Zorin built on top of it.
From a users point of view, a search under Ubuntu 18.04 or Bionic will quite often reveal an answer to an issue (Though not always).
The guide I posted a link to shows how to create the launcher. I apologize, I thought it continued to show how to add the launcher to gnome panel.
I know how to add evolution as an applet in Mate/Cinnamon and XFCE, but Gnome baffles me to this day - and I hate it.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/224004/ ... 010#224010
Why did GNome change from direct and sensible to convoluted and senseless... The world may never know.

gerj52

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:50:37 pm

Yes I agree with you. It wasn't difficult in previous version of Zorin. For now I have it on the desktop but would prefer it on the taskbar/panel. I have no doubt that I will get it there eventually. Thanks again.

gerj52

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:56:02 pm

Soooooo simple. Just right click the program icon and select "Add To Favorites". I was looking for "add to taskbar or panel" option.
Solved!!!

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:22:07 am

And at this point I owe the Zorin OS community a huge apology - how could I have left this basic element out of the Manual/s :oops: