This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Graphic Driver Support

kjbroome

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:34:09 am

Hello to All

Ich have a Huawei Matebook 14 KLV-W19L with Intel Chipset. My laptop is working but the video rendering performance is not very good. Is there a possibility to update the graphic drivers in the system?

Thank you

KJ

This is my "lspci" output

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 3e34 (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 3ea0 (rev 02)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 0c)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
00:12.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 9df9 (rev 30)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 9ded (rev 30)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Device 9def (rev 30)
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 9df0 (rev 30)
00:15.0 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 9de8 (rev 30)
00:15.1 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 9de9 (rev 30)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 9de0 (rev 30)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9db0 (rev f0)
00:1e.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 9da8 (rev 30)
00:1e.3 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 9dab (rev 30)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9d84 (rev 30)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 9dc8 (rev 30)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 9da4 (rev 30)
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller SM981/PM981

mdiemer

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:11:45 pm

Some basic stuff (I.m not good for much else): Did you install with the Safe Graphics Choice? that would give you VGA drivers, which work but don't look very good.

Also, have you opened up the Display in Settings? you can change the resolution there. Sometimes I have found I need to do that, although usually it gets set automatically.

Finally, if Nouveau drivers are not working for you, the other choice is Nvidia. Use the Driver Manager to switch to them. If you don't have them, you can install them. Or reinstall Zorin but choose the Nvidia Drivers option. If the laptop is old, however, you won't be able install Nvidia drivers, at least not easily.

kjbroome

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:02:59 am

Thank you for your feedback. I was searching for the Driver Manager. According to the information in the internet their is a Driver Manager from Linux Mint but the repository is not working anymore. I found a kubuntu driver manager in Synaptic but I am not sure if I should use it. I was not aware that the Zorin installer offered me an option of selecting Nvidea drivers. Check it next time. Maybe better I am waiting for the next version of Zorin.
Again thank you
KJ

Aravisian

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:14:43 am

kjbroome wrote:Thank you for your feedback. I was searching for the Driver Manager. According to the information in the internet their is a Driver Manager from Linux Mint but the repository is not working anymore. I found a kubuntu driver manager in Synaptic but I am not sure if I should use it. I was not aware that the Zorin installer offered me an option of selecting Nvidea drivers. Check it next time. Maybe better I am waiting for the next version of Zorin.
Again thank you
KJ

Have you installed or updated the xorg graphics drivers?
When I installed Zorin 15 on this computer, the first thing I did was install that and remove what came with it.
In terminal, you can
Code:
sudo apt-get update -y

Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core

Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg

Code:
sudo apt-get install xorg

Code:
sudo apt-get install xorg-input-all

You MUST do the input-all installation command if you do any of the installs.