This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Video playback problems on 15.1 core on old machine

AlbertoBN

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:14:47 am

Hi all,

I have been installing Zorin on anything I can get my hands on. One of the anythings goes like this:

Old HP Pentium4 dual core 2.5GHz with 6GB RAM, Small 80GB disk (by choice) with on board graphics card supporting VGA and DVI-D. I however wanted HDMI output... so...
Replaced the HP PSU from 300 Watt to an EZCool 400Watt and put a generic card with DVI-D, VGA and HDMI outputs. I has a sticker with GT210 on it (or G210).So I assume it is a generic low end old nVidia card (or maybe I assume wrong).

When Running VLC everything runs fine.
When running Kodi and pausing for a while the screenlock kicks in and upon unlock and pressing play video playback stays frozen but audio (and playback time) run normally. I have to stop the playback and resume from wherever I stopped.
When running youtube in normal or theater node playback is smooth. When I enter full screen video stutters but audio is normal.

What I though of doing is:
    Back up everything with clonezilla ( hate to have to reinstall from scratch)
    Try nouveau drivers
    Worst case restore the whole disk via clonezilla

There is no data there, it is just a playback rig (and is sooo quiet and cool, excellent craftsmanship) hence the small HDD.

Insights? Ideas? Suggestions?

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:36:45 am

Hi, I had major issues with Zorin 15 on my rig which had a 2Gb GT-620 - the minimum spec card that should run fine is a GT-730 (per team Zorin). I upgraded to a Zotac nVidia 1030 2Gb as I was getting all sorts of different screen resolution errors. I would also suggest you put Zorin Lite on it instead - even 12.4 Lite. ;) :D

AlbertoBN

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:08:27 pm

Ok.... I guess I will backup the setup and try nouveau (because I am a mazochist when it comes to reviving old rigs) then 15.1 lite 64 bit... and if that does not work I will go for 12.4 although I am not excited about the option. Worst case I will live with the annoying inconveniences. Zorin 15.1 Core is sooooo smooth on that rig ...
Thaks Swarf

AlbertoBN

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:07:37 pm

Ok just a quick update... I entered the additional drivers tab in software updates and I could either use nouveau or Nvidia. I chise nvidia (I was feeling lucky) and now everything works and all problems with video playback solved and all that on Zorin Core 15.1

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:44:09 pm

Good to know! :D