This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can I suggest a Japanese translation ?

blueblue

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:34:51 am

I would like to suggest a Japanese translation for the default items in the ZORIN start menu.
If it is possible that wih function name, not application name.
What should I do?

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:08:17 pm

Hi, I've just explained elsewhere that sadly not all menu items are directly translated into a user's native language primarily down to the fact a lot of projects, including open source Applications, don't have the volunteers available to do this. ;) :(

blueblue

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:08:31 pm

Thank you for your reply.
Yes,I understand that.
If there was a place to help with the translation, I wanted to suggest a specific Japanese translation for the items in the start menu.
Thank you .

star treker

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:13:02 pm

Konnichiwa!

Watashi-wa Star Treker Desu

And that was a formal introduction in not so Kanji form lol.

Do I earn brownie points for the use of proper Kago? :D

Aravisian

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19:24 pm

Well, can either of you two submit some translation suggestions directly to AZorin on here? Perhaps he can take that and implement them in.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:04:55 am

As a starting point:

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/July1 ... cle83.html

and I would look at a dedicated English/Japanese distro like berry linux which I have enjoyed playing with in the past (in English!):

https://berry-lab.net/

blueblue

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:11:00 am

Thank you everyone.
My suggestion is the attached jpg file.
I dedicated to making zorin an easy-to-understand OS even for japanese beginners.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:54:29 pm

I will PM AZorin and see if its a goer - was a bit concerned that WEB was too short for webcam as it suggest Browser? ;) :D

blueblue

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:02:09 pm

It is a trivial suggestion, I am glad if you would like to do so.
Sorry to trouble you.
Thank you.

AZorin

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:38:55 pm

My apologies for the late reply.
The menu items in this case (Brasero, Cheese, Pitivi, and Rhythmbox) are non-descriptive "brand" names for the apps, so they wouldn't be directly translatable. However, we're working on a software update that will display tooltips with the translated descriptive names (such as "Disc Burner and Copier" for Brasero) when your mouse hovers over their menu item (like what's present in Zorin OS Lite right now).

blueblue

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:12:10 am

Thank you for your reply.
I've acknowledged.
I look forward to the evolution of Zorin OS from Japan in the future.