This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Wine: can we run cmd?

carmar

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:43:58 pm

I'm trying to play Homeworld and have the same problem as: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=49313

In trying to use his solution, of running "homeworld.exe /safegl /waveout /noglddraw /noswddraw /nofastfe /window" in a command prompt, I only found: https://askubuntu.com/questions/86529/h ... mmand-line - which is not the same as using the command prompt in Windows (plus, the slashes are the same as Linux path determinants).

Any chance of being able to do this?

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:58:38 pm

Hi, You don't need that. What you need are three things:

1. Wine
2. CDEmu
3. K3b - CD burner software

1. After you have installed wine, insert your Homeworld (I am taking this to be version 1 and not 'Homeworld 2' as I paid for GOG on my Windows 7 64-bit install). Place the Homeworld CD in the optical drive and make a note of it's name shown in File Explorer. Create a folder with the same name on the fake C:\ Drive in Wine. Now open the CD folder and copy and paste every single file across. Right click all .exe files and in properties allow them permission to run as a program.

2. Install CDEmu. https://cdemu.sourceforge.io/ - Use this to create a virtual CD of the files in C:\ drive and burn to a 'toc-bin' - youload the 'toc-bin' so that you don't have to keep using the CD. It's a while since I did it and due to security issues of Wine, it is better if you have the physical capacity to run Windows as a VM in Zorin. ;) :D

carmar

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:08:47 am

Thanks, Swarf.
Its the GOG remastered version that includes the Classics. I'm referring only to the Classic games. The HW2 classic starts and runs fine. Surprisingly, the less demanding HW1 classic is the one not running. I installed using Play On Linux and both executables are already set to run as program.

PS - I have Win 7 dual boot on my desktop but thanks to Zorin, my desktop sits unpowered for weeks since Linux runs my laptop so well. :)

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:52:30 pm

In that case no code needed - see if you can make an iso out of the GOG files using imgburn on the windows rig (or K3b on Zorin!) :D

carmar

Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:16:45 am

Thanks.
Steps:
1. P7Zip on the two GOG bin files and extracted all to one folder.
2. Used K3b to make a single iso.
3. Used CDemu to mount iso.
4. Folder name was "K3b data project", made same name folder on PlayOnLinux and copied all.
5. Did search for ".exe", selected all, changed permissions to run as program.
6. Ran Homeworld.exe under subfolder game/HomeworldClassic1/exe
7. Got message "Invalid or missing Homeworld CD. Please insert valid CD."

Probably GOG does something in its install that a straight extraction doesn't work by itself.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:53:48 pm

No, you need to create a toc-bin from the .iso then use CDemu to launch that virtual CD - normally Homeworld (1) needs the CD to be present in the drive. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:57:14 pm

No, you need to create a toc-bin from the .iso then use CDemu to launch that virtual CD - normally Homeworld (1) needs the CD to be present in the drive. ;) :D

See my sticky here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12638&hilit=+gCDemu

carmar

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:29:06 am

Thanks.
I used the iso I created to copy to a .toc.bin image. Good news is that your method works - no CD request. Bad news is that I still get the "couldn't initialize default rendering system" error. So, its not a GOG issue. Its not a laptop issue either since HW2 is running fine. So, it is the HW1 engine being a pain.

Any chance that I can run a linux equivalent of Windows cmd line "homeworld.exe /safegl /waveout /noglddraw /noswddraw /nofastfe /window" ?

PS - I'm an overcautious idiot. Linux is fine with the full cmd line argument. In terminal, I navigated to the GOG folder and typed, "wine Homeworld.exe /safegl /waveout /noglddraw /noswddraw /nofastfe /window", and HW1 ran just fine. Sorry for wasting your time but at least I learned your method in case I have other problems in the future.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:45:31 am

Hi carmar,

No one here wastes time, including you. Happy to help as I can also learn from you and others. ;) :D