This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Touchscreen support.

GenericUser

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:02:15 pm

HI,

I have Zorin OS running on a non touchscreen laptop and it works well.
However, I tried installing it on a new HP Touchscreen laptop and the screen wil randomly rotate but never the correct way round.

So, I couldn't install Zorin on the tochscreen laptop so had to install Mint for now which has no issues.
Is it likely the devs will be sorting out this issue anytime soon?

Thanks,

Aravisian

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:49:43 pm

GenericUser wrote:HI,

However, I tried installing it on a new HP Touchscreen laptop and the screen wil randomly rotate but never the correct way round.

So, I couldn't install Zorin on the tochscreen laptop so had to install Mint for now which has no issues.

Thanks,

This is interesting as I had installed it on a touchscreen with no issues and it is still running strong. I can swivel the screen or rotate it all the way around.
It sounds like something is included in MInt that is missing in Zorin for some machines.
I think this thread should be forwarded to AZorin.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:15:25 am

Done! :D

GenericUser

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:17:16 am

Aravisian wrote:
GenericUser wrote:HI,

Thanks,

This is interesting as I had installed it on a touchscreen with no issues and it is still running strong. I can swivel the screen or rotate it all the way around.
It sounds like something is included in MInt that is missing in Zorin for some machines.
I think this thread should be forwarded to AZorin.

At first I thought the random rotating screen would fix itself when the installation had fully updated. I stayed the same.
To be 100% clear the machine in question is a new AMD ryzen laptop. I'm wondering if the issue is an AMD only issue.
Really liking Zorin.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:18:49 am

We'll have to wait for Artyom to read my PM and get back to us here. ;) :D

GenericUser

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:20:50 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:We'll have to wait for Artyom to read my PM and get back to us here. ;) :D

Thanks! :D

*I edited my last post to include the AMD information*

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:24:47 am

Appreciate the additional information. Let's be clear, Zorin is Ubuntu themed to look like Windows 7 (default). There is a Tablet theme present - did you apply that theme? Don't know if it would rectify the screen issue by itself though! It's the one that looks like a Mac with wings - expands across the screen but icons in middle. ;) :D

GenericUser

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:44:45 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Appreciate the additional information. Let's be clear, Zorin is Ubuntu themed to look like Windows 7 (default). There is a Tablet theme present - did you apply that theme? Don't know if it would rectify the screen issue by itself though! It's the one that looks like a Mac with wings - expands across the screen but icons in middle. ;) :D

We wanted to become Windows free and Zorin's GUI and ease of use is what got us hooked.
I miss Windows 7 but 10 is just bug ridden and bogged down. The latest update was the last straw. It had issues when shutting down or restarting.
Many have had to reinstall from scratch and lose everything in the process, Glad to see the back of Win 10.

Anyway, yes I did try the tablet theme but it remained the same.
Try Zorin was fine. It was only when I started the full install did the screen problems start.

Thanks for the help :D

AZorin

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:39:21 pm

My apologies for the late reply.
If installing the latest updates from the Software Updater today didn't fix the issue, the issue may be caused by your computer having a built-in orientation sensor that is sending incorrect signals, causing the screen to rotate. Please open the Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the following command:
sudo apt-get remove iio-sensor-proxy
After running the command please reboot your computer. The issue should hopefully be solved.