This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

7zip Installation

BobBobbly

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:36:50 am

Hello.

I am quite new to ZorinOS and I have managed to set-up some of it how I want (no thanks to a certain individual on a certain site :shock:). I have now got to the part of trying to install 7zip. I did manage, but from what I can tell this only installed...something (?) for the Archive Manager, and from what I could tell, all I could do is create a new archive, which I put on the desktop, where I was hoping to add files to it...but when I went to the desktop it was not there. I did that as a test first.

Other than that, from the instructions on a not-very-helpful other site, it appears to be CLI and extraction only. So... is it possible to install a GUI version of 7zip where I can both archive and extract files to my heart's content?!

Please and thanks.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:49:09 pm

Hi, This is where I fall down to when I should really be using the command line. Install Wine then download the Windows 7-zip for 32-bit windows - install and there you have the GUI! ;) :D

Aravisian

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:36:39 am

Not to pass the Buk, but it's quite easy from the terminal
Code:
sudo apt install p7zip-full p7zip-rar

Once this is done, you can extract or compress using your FM GUI like any other extractor.

carmar

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:47:39 pm

I used the Software installer and I have a GUI. Does it show up on yours?

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:15:51 pm

Hmm! See in the blurb it is a 'soft-fork' of the original. ;) :D

Now I can get rid of Wine! :D

carmar

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:22:40 pm

Speaking of Wine, I have WinRAR installed on it, for when P7Zip struggles (such as with ACE files). ;)