This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

MPD a ALSA update

olegausany

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:13:32 pm

How can I update ALSA and MPD to a newer version? I'm just a user not the programmer. The reason I want to upgrade is that I can't play Wavpack .Wv audio files and according to official MPD website Wavpack and DSD native playback is supported but no install package provided, you have to compile it yourself. I googled the question before posting but not found any helpful info so any help is very appreciated

mdiemer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:25:16 pm

One thing you might try is:

open terminal, run these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mpd
sudo apt-get install alsa

olegausany

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:51:37 pm

mdiemer wrote:One thing you might try is:

open terminal, run these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mpd
sudo apt-get install alsa

Thanks for reply
i did it and got response that latest version is already installed and nothing was updated
i also installed wavpack package but it didn't solve the problem even after system restart

Aravisian

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:12:14 am

In terminal, please run
Code:
sudo apt-get install libwavpack1=5.1.0-2ubuntu1.4

Code:
sudo apt-get install wavpack=5.1.0-2ubuntu1.4

olegausany

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:38:58 am

Aravisian wrote:In terminal, please run
Code:

Code:

thanks for reply
Just tried them but it ended with the same result

Aravisian

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:12:48 am

olegausany wrote:
Code:

Code:

thanks for reply

Hmm... What are your exact symptoms- that is what happens when you try to use it?
What Operating System version are you running?

you MAY try repeating the above terminal commands with the addition of -y to each; for example:
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y mpd

olegausany

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:32:00 am

Aravisian wrote:
olegausany wrote:
Code:

Code:

thanks for reply

Hmm... What are your exact symptoms- that is what happens when you try to use it?
What Operating System version are you running?

you MAY try repeating the above terminal commands with the addition of -y to each; for example:
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y mpd

Tried with -y switch but no difference
when i try to play it cantata shows that that playback starts but there is no sound or progress bar activity
But i know that the files are not corrupted since DeaDBeeF 1.8.2 player with alsa output and wavpack plugin have no problems playing them

Aravisian

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:46:54 am

Have you followed these instructions?
Once the install finishes, you can just open up Cantata. There is a GUI installer that asks you to choose between standard and single user installs. Unless there is a specific reason why you need the single user option, choose the standard. The next screen will prompt you to connect to the MPD server. It will already contain the defaults from MPD, including localhost and port 6600. Just set everything to the match the values that you configured in the MPD configuration, and hit connect. It should connect fairly quickly, and you can just complete the configuration from there.

After the configuration process, the Cantata library screen will appear and should be populated with the music and playlists that were served by MPD. That’s really all there is for setting it up. Cantata has a ton of other features to explore, and you can spend hours getting everything set the way you like.

https://linuxconfig.org/configuring-the ... untu-linux

olegausany

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:06:44 am

Aravisian wrote:Have you followed these instructions?
Once the install finishes, you can just open up Cantata. There is a GUI installer that asks you to choose between standard and single user installs. Unless there is a specific reason why you need the single user option, choose the standard. The next screen will prompt you to connect to the MPD server. It will already contain the defaults from MPD, including localhost and port 6600. Just set everything to the match the values that you configured in the MPD configuration, and hit connect. It should connect fairly quickly, and you can just complete the configuration from there.

After the configuration process, the Cantata library screen will appear and should be populated with the music and playlists that were served by MPD. That’s really all there is for setting it up. Cantata has a ton of other features to explore, and you can spend hours getting everything set the way you like.

Yes i used the GUI installer and selected standard option and it quickly connected to the server. Being old school i use folders to select music i want to play. I have no problems playing Flac or Ape files , only Wawpack has problem

Aravisian

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:39:55 am

olegausany wrote:
Aravisian wrote:Have you followed these instructions?

Yes i used the GUI installer and selected standard option and it quickly connected to the server. Being old school i use folders to select music i want to play. I have no problems playing Flac or Ape files , only Wawpack has problem

I'm stumped.

What if you fully remove and then reinstall Cantata?

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:59:42 pm

Wonder if it is a hardware stack issue:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1210154 ... -4-changes

mdiemer

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:51:17 pm

Do you have Pulse Audio on your system? I remember that I once had a similar problem (on a different Linux distro) which was solved by adding Pulse, and possibly some related Pulse apps, which I don't specifically recall. But you might want to check into that.