This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Why is WINE outdated?

grgnday

Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:35:16 am

WINE seems to be version 4.0.3 in the Software Store while version 5 is already released. Is there a reason for it not being updated?

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:36:11 am

The Software channel tends to be based on the Ubuntu Channel. Wine 5 has only recently come out so perhaps it needs further testing to be sure it is safe before adding to the channel. Your best method of installing any software is to use Synaptic Package Manager - it is the most efficient method. ;) :D

Aravisian

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:43:17 am

grgnday wrote:WINE seems to be version 4.0.3 in the Software Store while version 5 is already released. Is there a reason for it not being updated?

Wine 5 was very recently released. canonical/Ubuntu will not add it to the software store until it is thoroughly tested.

However, if you want to install Wine 5, you can do so from the terminal.
Please scroll down to the Second Post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15352&p=69240&hilit=+wine#p69240

EDIT: Swarfendor- Jinx :D

grgnday

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:59:38 pm

Thanks a lot! I didn't know it was a recent release. I still think it's hosted by Zorin though since it says so at the source...

Aravisian

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:18:40 pm

grgnday wrote:Thanks a lot! I didn't know it was a recent release. I still think it's hosted by Zorin though since it says so at the source...

Zorin O.S. used to come with Wine Pre-installed. The last release of Zorin came with Wine but at that time, it was a case of bad timing... Wine was switching to Wine 4 and Zorin came with Wine 3... Resulting it most users feeling like Zorin came with Wine-Broken.
I can only assume that the Zorin Team decided not to take a chance with Zorin 15 and it appears- They were not far from the mark as Zorin 15 was released just a couple months or Less than the release of Wine 5.

As to why the Zorin O.S. Website still claims that Zorin comes with Wine- GOOD QUESTION!