This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Internet access cutting out.

bally1001

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:55:50 pm

As a new user I installed Zorin alongside Windows 10 on a laptop.....Easy installation and I like the boot options screen after powering up.....I like the OS for everyday use, but I'm not a power user (nor a great fan of Windows)......My problem though is that internet connection (both Ethernet and Wi-Fi) disconnects after ten minutes or so suggesting there is a problem with the ISP.......However, that is not the case. By switching the laptop off and on again, connection is restored.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:07:43 pm

Hi, Have you checked Menu | Settings | Network - then click on settings cog and ensure that 'connect automatically' is selected. Also try disabling IPv6 connections - stopping this can sometimes improve connectivity issues. Lastly, if you are in the UK, the MTU maximum setting should be set ot 1432 - most distributions set this to automatic by default which equates to MTU of 1500. ;) :D

bally1001

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:25:20 am

Hi....Thanks for your reply........Yes, all settings are as they should be, my router is only one band, and I don't live in the UK......The problem remains however......It seems to cut out after I upload comments to the odd newsfeed....Not that I do that very often so it isn't a major problem, just irritating..

JeffK969

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:38:58 pm

Hello bally1001. Quick question, ever think of using Lite 15 instead of Core. I used to have wifi issues when I used Ultimate 15. Switched over to Ultimate Lite 15, and have been sailing with no issues since... Just a suggestion. Personally speaking, Zorin Lite 15 has the looks of Zorin Core, but just runs better. Less issues.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:48:18 pm

Hi see if Wifi Radar shows up any conflicts with wifi nearby:

https://www.linux.com/tutorials/how-con ... x-desktop/

Other issues:

https://www.lifewire.com/reasons-why-wi ... rop-818210

bally1001

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:15:46 pm

Thanks gents.....I'll give Lite a try to see if it helps.........I am fortunate enough to have only one neighbour and they only use their WiFi spasmodically, as confirmed by the radar I have installed on the Windows partition.......In addition, if I use the Ethernet connection, the same problem occurs.......Curiously, as soon as access cuts out, after a restart, the problem does not recur for the remainder of the session.......I use CloudFlare as the default DNS server and no interruption takes place, confirmed by dnsleaktest.com.......On the laptop other family members use, Linux Mint 19.3 is installed on the same disk as Windows 10, and again, there is no similar issue there with either OS.

Aravisian

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:19:55 pm

JeffK969 wrote:Hello bally1001. Quick question, ever think of using Lite 15 instead of Core. I used to have wifi issues when I used Ultimate 15. Switched over to Ultimate Lite 15, and have been sailing with no issues since... Just a suggestion. Personally speaking, Zorin Lite 15 has the looks of Zorin Core, but just runs better. Less issues.

I'd like to second this: i had a similar experience. Admittedly, however, I have been having issues with my router, lately. It is getting a bit long in the tooth, though.
Lately, I have been using Zorin Lite with Cinnamon D.E. that I installed with no issues - in fact, I have a better connectivity than others in the house do. :|

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:46:57 pm

Hi, I recently installed a different distribution to replace Windows 7 64-bit Pro which uses Powerline Ethernet connection. It was forever booting to "unknown network" (169.254.***.***). No such issues with Linux (or the VM of Windows 7 64-bit Pro! :D