This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Direct X 11 installation

Rajakrishnan55

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:52:18 am

Hello everyone I am a new user of Zorin OS Core from the last few days. The OS is super fast and I really liked it. Even Gaming on it with steam and proton is very fast. But I have an issue, One of my games in Steam,even with proton enabled is showing a error while launching, stating that I need Directx 11 to run the game. I am not able to find a way to install Directx 11 on Zorin OS from anywhere. Can someone give me some information regarding this, it will be of great help to me.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:41:53 am

As explained in PM - no it can't be done.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=226662

Aravisian

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:20:24 pm

If you could open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t) and paste in the following commands one at a time:
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Code:
sudo apt update

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/mesa

Code:
sudo apt dist-upgrade

Code:
sudo apt-get install mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386

If the above fails to help you, you can try running this to your game launch command:
Code:
PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%

(This was a PM reply, originally)
Also, please start this as a Thread on the Open forum. If these answers are helpful, they may help others struggling with the same problem. If the answer is unhelpful, it allows others to suggest solutions.

Rajakrishnan55

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:52:33 am

Thanks for the quick reply, I will try the suggested method and let you know.

Rajakrishnan55

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:54:39 pm

Aravisian wrote:If you could open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t) and paste in the following commands one at a time:
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Code:
sudo apt update

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/mesa

Code:
sudo apt dist-upgrade

Code:
sudo apt-get install mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386

If the above fails to help you, you can try running this to your game launch command:
Code:
PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%

(This was a PM reply, originally)
Also, please start this as a Thread on the Open forum. If these answers are helpful, they may help others struggling with the same problem. If the answer is unhelpful, it allows others to suggest solutions.

Sir, I tried the method suggested by you, but it is still showing:- No compatible graphics device found. Minimum DirectX11 graphics device is required!

Sir, also regarding your second suggestion of running the command to my game launch command, I didn't exactly understand your suggestion, what I did is I copied the command that you gave and pasted it in the game's launch options, please correct me if I am wrong.

I had one more doubt to ask you regarding your other suggestion of Starting this as a Thread on the Open forum, I am not sure of how to do it, please give me suggestions to do it.

Your's faithfully
Rajakrishnan VV

Rajakrishnan55

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:56:15 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:As explained in PM - no it can't be done.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=226662

Thanks for replying to my query, I really appreciate it.

Aravisian

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:15:48 pm

Rajakrishnan55 wrote:Sir, also regarding your second suggestion of running the command to my game launch command, I didn't exactly understand your suggestion, what I did is I copied the command that you gave and pasted it in the game's launch options, please correct me if I am wrong.

That is how I understand it to be done, as well.
From the link Swarfendor posted, I found this:
https://bufferoverflow.io/gpu-passthrough/
NOTE* In that article ^ where you see "yaourt -S" or "pacman -S" you would replace those with "sudo apt-get install"
That may be worth a try. Swarf may be right that it cannot be done and perhaps the information I gave you is outdated. I am not sure. I have never experienced this particular problem- but I also don't game much and when I do- I use an Xbox that sits under my computer and shares a monitor with it.
Rajakrishnan55 wrote:I had one more doubt to ask you regarding your other suggestion of Starting this as a Thread on the Open forum, I am not sure of how to do it, please give me suggestions to do it.

We are not posting in it. :)

Rajakrishnan55

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:28:05 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Rajakrishnan55 wrote:Sir, also regarding your second suggestion of running the command to my game launch command, I didn't exactly understand your suggestion, what I did is I copied the command that you gave and pasted it in the game's launch options, please correct me if I am wrong.

That is how I understand it to be done, as well.
From the link Swarfendor posted, I found this:
https://bufferoverflow.io/gpu-passthrough/
NOTE* In that article ^ where you see "yaourt -S" or "pacman -S" you would replace those with "sudo apt-get install"
That may be worth a try. Swarf may be right that it cannot be done and perhaps the information I gave you is outdated. I am not sure. I have never experienced this particular problem- but I also don't game much and when I do- I use an Xbox that sits under my computer and shares a monitor with it.
Rajakrishnan55 wrote:I had one more doubt to ask you regarding your other suggestion of Starting this as a Thread on the Open forum, I am not sure of how to do it, please give me suggestions to do it.

We are not posting in it. :)

Sir Thank You for all the help. I am currently having an AMD GPU and the article you have given mainly talks about NVIDIA and INTEL, and also I am not thinking about using a VM now with the capabilities of my current Laptop(Lenovo G50 with 4GB RAM). I will just play the game on my Windows 10(it hangs sometimes, but something's better than nothing obviously) dual boot. I am just hoping that Linux will get better DirectX(or some alternative) support in the future, which will give such a complete experience on it, the gaming support will surely lift Linux to a very very high level.

Again, Thank you to both of you for your help and support.

Aravisian

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:13:37 pm

I meant to say we are NOW posting in the open thread on the forum.
I hate typo errors...

I am running AMD, as well.

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:11:26 pm

PS4 user here - I've had a few games purchases as presents but the only one I play on regularly is Blacklight Retribution (and it's free!) The only game I have purchased for family members is Spyro reignited. 8-)

Rajakrishnan55

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:41:40 am

Aravisian wrote:I meant to say we are NOW posting in the open thread on the forum.
I hate typo errors...

Haha, I also realise it now, I just got confused a bit if this is the open forum or not.

Rajakrishnan55

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:44:37 am

Rajakrishnan55 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:I meant to say we are NOW posting in the open thread on the forum.
I hate typo errors...

Haha, I also realise it now, I just got confused a bit if this is the open forum or not.

Since you are running AMD as well may I ask you another question. How can we view the AMD control panel(settings, I think that you understand what I mean with that) in Zorin 15.1 Core.

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:53:12 pm

Are you talking about Catalyst? I think AMD dropped support for Linux generally a while back - that ain't going to happen any time soon. Nvidia is the only one with a working panel for graphics. But I won't use proprietary blobs on Linux. ;)

Rajakrishnan55

Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:44:15 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Are you talking about Catalyst? I think AMD dropped support for Linux generally a while back - that ain't going to happen any time soon. Nvidia is the only one with a working panel for graphics. But I won't use proprietary blobs on Linux. ;)

Thanks Sir

Rajakrishnan55

Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:29:13 am

I hate typo errors...

I have a new update on the issue with the game. I have been able to get the game to launch without any issues from lutris. But I now have a different issue, the game launches and goes to the main menu without much issues, but by the time I try to play a match the games gets stuck and crashes. Is there any workaround for that issue in lutris

Aravisian

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:59:41 pm

Rajakrishnan55 wrote:
I hate typo errors...

I have a new update on the issue with the game. I have been able to get the game to launch without any issues from lutris. But I now have a different issue, the game launches and goes to the main menu without much issues, but by the time I try to play a match the games gets stuck and crashes. Is there any workaround for that issue in lutris

I have no experience with Lutris. The only suggestion I can make is that you download/install 'wine-staging' from ppa with the "sudo apt-get install -y" command to ensure you get all dependencies.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:44:02 pm

Hi, I would advise you post the issue here? You might get some advice from more experienced Lutris users. ;) :D

https://forums.lutris.net/

Also, as a different issue to the OP can you in future get into the good habit of starting a new thread. Thanks. ;) :D

Rajakrishnan55

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:46:22 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Rajakrishnan55 wrote:
I hate typo errors...

I have no experience with Lutris. The only suggestion I can make is that you download/install 'wine-staging' from ppa with the "sudo apt-get install -y" command to ensure you get all dependencies.

Thanks for your reply

Rajakrishnan55

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:56:39 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I would advise you post the issue here? You might get some advice from more experienced Lutris users. ;) :D

https://forums.lutris.net/

Also, as a different issue to the OP can you in future get into the good habit of starting a new thread. Thanks. ;) :D

Ok, Thank You Swarf, I will try and post the issue on lutris forum.

Regarding your second suggestion, sorry for that, I only posted it here because I only intended to inform both of you about the new development. I will post in a new thread in the future.

Also, should I post a new thread about this issue? What is your opinion?

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:06:59 pm

Just continue in this one for now ... I c.b.a.! :lol:

Rajakrishnan55

Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:55:55 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Just continue in this one for now ... I c.b.a.! :lol:

:lol: :lol: