This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

AMDGPU Graphics Broke with Linux 5.3.0-40

hupper

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:34:02 pm

Since the update to Linux 5.3.0-40, my video no longer works on my laptop (AMD Ryzen 3 with Radeon Vega 3 Graphics). If I boot up in 5.3.0-37, video works just fine...even for light gaming. Any solution to this?

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:32:40 pm

Hi, with ever increasing advances in CPU and APU architecture, the kernel appears to be updating at a phenomenal rate to ensure users of newest mobos/notebooks and Graphics will work out of the box. My advice is to uninstall the latest kernel and when it next comes up in the updater, uncheck it for installing. ;) :D

star treker

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:39:51 am

Agreed, our older computer's simply cannot handle the latest kernals, as they are not written for our older hardware. I've had to rollback my kernal several of times in the past. I'm actually impressed that you knew to do that without any guidance from us, way to go! Now just do what SWARF says, and make sure that when the computer updates, that you uncheck the update for the kernal.

Aravisian

Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:10:30 pm

I am getting away with running 5.3.0-28 now and I think the ONLY way I am getting away with it is because I am running it on Zorin.
On Mint and on Xubuntu both- they faltered. I had to roll them back.

hupper

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:16:15 pm

Well, I rolled back to 5.3.0.37 and locked the kernel...all works fine now. I would have thought the Vega series graphics would have still been supported with latest kernel. I realize I am using a very low end laptop, but still I just purchased it over the holidays. It is not an old computer.

Aravisian

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39:50 pm

hupper wrote:Well, I rolled back to 5.3.0.37 and locked the kernel...all works fine now. I would have thought the Vega series graphics would have still been supported with latest kernel. I realize I am using a very low end laptop, but still I just purchased it over the holidays. It is not an old computer.

Low-end and 'old' are often the same thing. New laptops made for low-cost using older tech.