This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Clock cannot be reset

tcbear

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:25:02 pm

I have followed every reply that I saw posted to this issue and have executed them with no success. I note that an "adjtime' file was added yesterday as an update to software but it is a read only file which says time is UTC. I want to change to local time because I am in dual boot mode with Vista. I have Zorin 15.1 Lite installed as dual boot on a laptop. Very frustrating. Have been hours trying to get this corrected.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:43:56 am

Beginning to wonder if this is an issue that has never got solved since 2011?:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175528816/

tcbear

Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:29:41 pm

Thank you for the reply 1. Does it mean that the complexities make a solution hopeless? 2. What is the significance of the 'adjtime' file that was download from software update on Friday?

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:44:05 pm

I am no coder and I am in the dark as much as you:

https://linux.die.net/man/3/adjtime

Have you tried this possible solution?:

https://www.howtogeek.com/323390/how-to ... l-booting/

Aravisian

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:10:23 am

tcbear wrote:Thank you for the reply 1. Does it mean that the complexities make a solution hopeless? 2. What is the significance of the 'adjtime' file that was download from software update on Friday?

First, what happens if you enter the following into terminal
Code:
hwclock --localtime

If you have already tried that, please let me know.
Or try
Code:
timedatectl set-local-rtc 1

Check if either worked:
Code:
[code]timedatectl[/code]

Code:
grep LOCAL /etc/adjtime

No, not hopeless, at all. the adjtime file is necessary because you are dual booting on Windows and Linux. Linux uses UTC (default) whereas Windows keeps telling your hardware to use Local, creating a conflict. Please keep in mind that Windows is quite bossy and Linux is non-invasive, so in a competition, Windows will tell Linux what to do and how to do it- just the same as it does to you.
So, without uninstalling Windows, the only option is to conform to its desires.

tcbear

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:13:30 pm

This is what I got with the following. Don't know how to correct;
$ hwclock --localtime
hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
hwclock: Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.

Aravisian

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:03:48 pm

tcbear wrote:This is what I got with the following. Don't know how to correct;
$ hwclock --localtime
hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
hwclock: Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.

Maybe you need elevated privileges.
Can you try with "sudo?"

tcbear

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:27:59 pm

The first command with SUDO gave me the correct local time. The problem is that the panel display continues to show UTC.

Aravisian

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:28:30 pm

tcbear wrote:The first command with SUDO gave me the correct local time. The problem is that the panel display continues to show UTC.

Have you rebooted or logged in/out since?

tcbear

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:48:33 am

I rebooted several times and included in and out of Vista but it persists in displaying UTC time on the panel clock.

Aravisian

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:00:59 am

tcbear wrote:I rebooted several times and included in and out of Vista but it persists in displaying UTC time on the panel clock.

In terminal, let's try
Code:
sudo timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock

Then, restart computer, boot into BIOS
From there, set local time by your timezone and save and exit
Then reboot computer again.

Are you using Zorin 15 Lite or Core? Or Zorin 12 of each?

tcbear

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:43:11 pm

Done. BIOS shows correct local time. Panel clock display in Zorin still stuck on UTC. I am using Zorin 15.1 Lite.

Aravisian

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:23:41 pm

tcbear wrote:Done. BIOS shows correct local time. Panel clock display in Zorin still stuck on UTC. I am using Zorin 15.1 Lite.

Ok, get a hammer...

Seriously, I am stuck.
The last thing I can think of is to check /etc/localtime and ensure it is set to your timezone. Then symlink that S.O.B. to /usr/share/zoneinfo/<YOUR LOCAL TIMEZONE>

Are you using Orage? You might right click the clock on the panel, select properties, then blank out the timezone field then close it.
Then in terminal
Code:
xfce4-panel -r

tcbear

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:44:43 pm

Thought you would be interested. I blanked out time zone. This is what I got with last command you gave.ted@ted:~$ sudo xfce4-panel -r
[sudo] password for ted:
Gtk-Message: 10:30:58.577: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

I dont know what Orage is. Don't know what is meant by symlink so I didn't try it.
Perhaps I need to uninstall Zorin and reinstall. what do you think?

Aravisian

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:54:12 pm

tcbear wrote:Thought you would be interested. I blanked out time zone. This is what I got with last command you gave.ted@ted:~$ sudo xfce4-panel -r
[sudo] password for ted:
Gtk-Message: 10:30:58.577: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

I dont know what Orage is. Don't know what is meant by symlink so I didn't try it.
Perhaps I need to uninstall Zorin and reinstall. what do you think?

No sudo, just xfce4-panel -r
All that does is restart the panel.
I am guessing that blanking out TZ field under the clocks properties and restarting the panel did not work?

I do not know if reinstalling Zorin won't end up in the same place, really.

Orage is an older XFCE panel Plugin with clock and calendar.

A symlink is a "placeholder" in a folder that directs to another shared file. This saves space because then you only have one file being used for two purposes.
https://websiteforstudents.com/setup-an ... -04-16-04/

tcbear

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:22:09 pm

Your are correct, blanking out the TZ field did not work. I am a first time user of Linux and I thought that Zorin would be a good start. I am determined to find an answer to this problem, if there is anyone out there who knows the answer. Too bad such a seemingly simple problem would create such a situation. I remember that when I first installed the TZ was apparently set by default someplace in I think Africa. Troubles all started when I put in the America-New York TZ. Sounded like an explosion from my laptop when that was tried. The rest is history. This is one that should be set up as a simple fix. Is there another TZ that would give the equivalent of EST in the US?

tcbear

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:05:49 am

Issue resolved. Want to thank Aravisian for his effort and patience in helping to resolve the issue.

Aravisian

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:22:03 am

tcbear wrote:Your are correct, blanking out the TZ field did not work. I am a first time user of Linux and I thought that Zorin would be a good start. I am determined to find an answer to this problem, if there is anyone out there who knows the answer. Too bad such a seemingly simple problem would create such a situation. I remember that when I first installed the TZ was apparently set by default someplace in I think Africa. Troubles all started when I put in the America-New York TZ. Sounded like an explosion from my laptop when that was tried. The rest is history. This is one that should be set up as a simple fix. Is there another TZ that would give the equivalent of EST in the US?

-Chuckle-
Frustrating, isn't it? It's like getting into an unfamiliar car, looking at the controls on the dashboard and thinking, "I have no idea what this button does..."
It does not matter what it is that is unfamiliar... A situation, a location, a mechanical or electronic device, dealing with people: A lack of familiarity with the inner workings of it will drive you nuts.

I understand the journey because it was not so long ago I took the same path. And Swarfendor on here can attest to the amount of frustrated cussing I was doing.
I firmly believe that Zorin is a great place to not only start- but keep on going. But Zorin is limited by one thing: While it can add a touch of the familiar to help; it cannot BE Windo$ in order to make the transition easier. Nor, should it be. A person cannot learn Linux effectively if it is so much unlike Linux that a person isn't pushed to learn new things.
And with that little push, before long you are driving that new car, riding that bike, operating that machinery like a an Adept.

Your issue here WILL be solved, one way or another. Even if it means a Reinstall; which if you are comfortable with, may be good practice. I ended up reinstalling more times than I can count in that first couple weeks of using Zorin. I learned a lot about how to make efficient and effective back ups and how to do a wipe and reload in minutes, rather than struggling with it.
During installation, you do have the option of changing your TimeZone. It shows a map and you must click on the area on the map in which you live (You don't have to be precise) -But of course, you would need to know that is what you need to do.
Once you have selected your TZ, you then hit the "Continue" button to proceed to the next step.
Swarfendow wrote a good guide to installation and OS Use here:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... W17JkbhEK7

In the meantime, resolving the experience you are having seems tricky, but I am not out of tricks myself, just yet.
Please open a terminal and input
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

A dialogue will open within the terminal. Please follow the prompts- and let us know if you have any success. I may end up shamelessly asking for outside help...

EDIT: Apparently while I was typing this long post- the issue was resolved.
Can I ask- what worked?

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:12:30 pm

Not sure about Lite - been a while, but when you see the map you can actually put your City name in there to be accurate. I live in Sheffield in the UK and it is surprising how many Sheffield's there are around the world - choose the town nearest to you if yours isn't listed - this will give you the correct time zone for where you are. ;) :D

tcbear

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:29:50 pm

Issue resolved. Using commands from Aravisian was able to load local time into files but panel clock time still showed UTC time. To resolve: Right click on panel clock, pull up properties, time settings in clock> blank out TZ> reboot> re-enter correct TZ and correct local time comes up on panel clock. Thanks again to Aravisian for the help and patience.

Aravisian

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:37:59 pm

tcbear wrote:Issue resolved. Using commands from Aravisian was able to load local time into files but panel clock time still showed UTC time. To resolve: Right click on panel clock, pull up properties, time settings in clock> blank out TZ> reboot> re-enter correct TZ and correct local time comes up on panel clock. Thanks again to Aravisian for the help and patience.

Thanks for sharing what worked. And you are welcome if I could help.