This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Notepad++ Will not Install

maxzebra

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:04:37 am

Have just returned to Zorin after a long absence. I want to use Notepad++ if possible, and it is said that Notepad++ is already installed using 'snaps'.

It would not launch. Great joy at seeing it installed, but frustration that it just would not launch. I uninstalled it, and it would not re-install. It had disappeared off the software menu. After various web searches, I found that several install steps were possible, and I tried all options, but the constant message coming back was that the repositories were not found. I tried several times, all to no avail.

I then did a complete re-install of Zorin 15. When complete, Notepad++ was not installed, but it was in the menu and it did have an 'install' button.

The installation did not work, and the on-screen message was that "the following processes could not be completed'. But the area was blank. No information.

The web comments are that Notepad++ is now a breeze in Zorin, because the snaps have been created by the Notepad++ people. Neither the snaps for Notepad++, nor Notepad++(WINE) can be found.

What to do to get Notepad++ running?

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:23:31 pm

Hi, does this tutorial video help?:

https://www.tecrobust.com/install-notep ... ux-ubuntu/

Wine is no longer present in Zorin 15. You have to install it via Synaptic Package Manager - that said, Wine project itself is having issues or perhaps Ubuntu/Zorin is.

Whilst I appreciate it is seen as the best Text Editor out there there are Linux alternatives that should meet the need:

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/10-n ... -for-linux

Aravisian

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:41:35 pm

I prefer Geany or Pluma text editors over Notepad++ - By Far. Faster, more functionality and provides better cues for differentiating code.
Swarf is correct, you MUST use Notepad++ using Wine. It does not actually work on Linux, in spite of the numerous claims made by MANY parties.