This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Synaptic error message

carmar

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:10:44 am

Swarf and Aravisian will be familiar with my earlier efforts leading to this.

I tried gisomount and started its GUI from root in the terminal. It started. Kept telling me the images I was trying to load were not ISO files. In the terminal I saw an error, "Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module", so I ran
Code:
sudo apt install libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk3-module
as suggested here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/342202/ ... -installed
With its aversion to my ISOs, I uninstalled.

Then, in my undying love to try and make GCDemu work, I tried reinstalling XFCE4 (after which removal GCDemu had gone belly-up). GCDemu still didn't work, so I removed XFCE4, yet again. As I was uninstalling (all using Synaptic), I got the attached error. I think Synaptic is telling me it is sick and tired of me. ;)

PS - XFCE4 looks removed, but I only looked in Synaptic.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:25:17 pm

That error message means that whatever you were trying to do did not have root priveleges and/or the process needed to run requires root ownership of the process/file/application. Had a similar issue when I was playing with VB in FerenOS last night - even sudo chown did not work (didn't try chmod) - so just used Timeshift to get back to where I needed to be. ;) :D

star treker

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:00:58 pm

SWARF is correct, I am guessing you will need to open Synaptic up in terminal with root privileges, hence the sudo command.

SWARF, those Flux Capacitors with 1.21 gigawatts are hard to come by, your operation of timeshift is impressive. :P

carmar

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:17:02 pm

Thanks.

I saw this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/954862/ ... ion-denied
seems similar to what you wrote about chown. XFCE4 is already removed, so I won't bother screwing around with this further. Besides, I'm thinking of doing a Zorin reinstall (yes, I'm thinking of waiting through the 5-10 minutes install process just to get my GCDEmu back ;) ).

It is strange though that Synaptic asks me for a password at every start and then turns out it doesn't have root privilege.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:48:28 pm

OK, after your next install, if Synaptic not present, don't use the store but instead use:

Code:
sudo apt install synaptic
from a terrminal. ;) :D

carmar

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:59:27 pm

Good to know. Thanks.

PS - Decided to uninstall (used Software Manager) and reinstall (using terminal). Not sure when I get around to the OS reinstall, so I'd rather get this out of the way.