This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Two problems : no code and too much brightness

vynce

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:33:16 pm

Hello. I inherited a computer (it belonged to my father) which has Zorin 9 on it ... As my father died, he cannot give me his codes ... and this laptop is really too bright .. I try to follow what you have written on the subject on the forum, but ... I understand nothing ... all I want is to lower the brightness of the screen a lot .. ... and I have none of my father's root code ... what i am doing now?

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:07:48 pm

"The 'de facto' solution usually is to boot into advanced | recovery mode then from the recovery menu launch 'root' (terminal) then enter:

Code:
mount -n -o remount,rw /
then press Enter.

Code:
passwd your_username
then enter new password, shutdown and reboot."

[Source: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15297#p68833]

That said, you should really be looking to install Zorin 12 at least as Zorin 9 is no longer supported in respect of security updates. Doesn't the Fn key and designated keyboard keys in same colour for brightness work when pressed together?

vynce

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:08:35 pm

i don't how to do all of your asking... and i dont have the original code

And even if i wanted to upgrade my Zorin... i dont have any clue to do this...

And anyway... all i want is to lower brightness of my screen... the rest doesn't matter to me...

carmar

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:21:01 pm

Look here: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000594.htm

That is what Swarf is referring to.

Swarfendor437 wrote:Doesn't the Fn key and designated keyboard keys in same colour for brightness work when pressed together?

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:49:42 pm

For dedicated help we need make and model of Notebook (Laptop= Bad practice!)