This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Vivaldi browser causing problems

Tardicus

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:20:19 pm

I have recently been encountering issues with Vivaldi browser on Zorin OS 15 (core) it appears to be a problem when loading media such as videos or a large amount of images. The system freezes then goes to a black screen citing read write or disk errors. (i cant remember the exact output). It has happened a few times now, but the last time it happened (a few minutes ago), it failed load the OS and gave an error stating " UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fcsk MANUALLY"

Anyone know why this is occurring with vivaldi? hasn't happened before during my entire experience with Zorin up until recently and have been using Vivaldi since the beginning

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:05:58 pm

Hi, if you are seeing a message to run fsck this suggests a potential hard drive failure in the making. fsck is the Linux equivalent of chkdisk in that other OS.

To run FSCK you will need to reboot your machine in Advanced Safe Mode. On the menu that appears, choose FSCK - if it refuses to run and states you need to do this manually:

So at the prompt you type:

Code:
fsck /dev/sda1

This is assuming there is only one hard drive in the machine - you would of course put the device label according to which drive Zorin is on.
fsck runs and reports file errors in inodes and asks if you want to repair - well yes, you do obviously! Enter 'y' for any other prompts - it will tell you when you have finished. On completion of the task you will be returned to the safe mode options menu - don't select 'RESUME' - turn off the machine and power up - problem solved! :D ]

Tardicus

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:15:29 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, if you are seeing a message to run fsck this suggests a potential hard drive failure in the making. fsck is the Linux equivalent of chkdisk in that other OS.

To run FSCK you will need to reboot your machine in Advanced Safe Mode. On the menu that appears, choose FSCK - if it refuses to run and states you need to do this manually:

So at the prompt you type:

Code:
fsck /dev/sda1

This is assuming there is only one hard drive in the machine - you would of course put the device label according to which drive Zorin is on.
fsck runs and reports file errors in inodes and asks if you want to repair - well yes, you do obviously! Enter 'y' for any other prompts - it will tell you when you have finished. On completion of the task you will be returned to the safe mode options menu - don't select 'RESUME' - turn off the machine and power up - problem solved! :D ]

I'm relatively new to Linux / Zorin, how do I boot to advanced safe mode? Is that from the Zorin grub menu or is it from pressing specific keys after powering on?

Guessing it is a hard drive error - is booting to busybox everytime the machine is restarted or powered off

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:13:56 pm

It's from the GRUB menu - just select advanced boot options under main (top) entry then you have options for Safe Graphics Mode and earlier kernels and their safe mode. I would advise that you boot with live version of Zorin to see if you can access your home folder to pull all critical stuff before the drive goes westward! ;)