This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Lite Screen goes black.

Waco John

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:04:06 pm

Lately, in a very short time, the screen on my laptop goes to black. I can do a touch pad left click and get a mouse pointer and it moves. It will soon disappear though. I have power settings to do nothing when plugged in except for pwr button which is set to pwr down. I do not have a screensaver enabled.

System Power Saving Sleep Mode Plugged in, Suspend 9only choice) but Inactive time is set to never.
Critical Power set to Do Nothing.

When I hit the pwr button for a shutdown, I briefly see a desktop as it goes down. The only way to continue use is to hit pwr button and start up again, .. where I face the same problem.

any help is much appreciated in advance.

Aravisian

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:52:42 pm

You may not have screensaver enabled, but that does not mean it is not there. Xscreensaver is a bit notorious for it, so I would try this in terminal first and see if that works:
Code:
sudo xset s 0 0

If not, we will need to look deeper.

Waco John

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:23:42 pm

Thank you for the reply. For some reason, I was not notified of it. I think I may have more info. I booted up, and let the desktop sit for 24 hours. No black/stuck screen. I opened the Chromium Browser and let it sit. After a short while, screen went black and stuck there. Don't know if this matters.

I have just now followed your instructions. Sitting at desktop only. Will see and if no problem, will let it sit at an open browser. Thank you again.

EDIT:
Have let it sit for several minutes. No black screen. I conclude

Code:
sudo xset s 0 0

fixed the problem. Last question would be, must I run this on every start or is it a fixed command?? Thank you again.

Aravisian

Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:44:49 am

Waco John wrote:Last question would be, must I run this on every start or is it a fixed command?? Thank you again.

No, it is a done deal run once.
What it does is sets the timer on the xScreensaver to Zero.
I do not know how Chrome relates to that... Might want to monitor that.

Waco John

Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:13:35 am

Sincere thanks for all your help. Now to figure out how to mark this SOLVED.

EDIT:

Code:
sudo xset s 0 0

is the solution. Now to have it run on boot up. Unless it requires a bill pushed through congress, can anyone tell me how to do that? Thanks in advance.

Waco John

Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:58:11 pm

update

Aravisian

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:04:33 am

Waco John wrote:update

Hmm?