This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Trying to install xampp

ozstar

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:59:11 am

HI,

I have already installed Apache and tried to set up a webserver with individual add ons such as MySQL, PHP etc but whilst I have Apache going okay, trying to get php etc has got me, so I have surrendered and will let Xampp do it for me.

Timw has taken control over me the last weeks and as I need this test server now, I will maybe later try again as I get to understand it better.

BTW at the moment I have my html and php files files at var/www/html

Anyway, I downloaded Xampp Linux 7.4.3 to my Downloads directory and also tried to use installer however I get the error that I do not have an application to run exe script, and the installer says it cannot display.

I seem to get part the way but when I do this command I am stopped.

Code:
sudo ./xampp-linux-x64-7.2.9-0-installer.run

I get this error
Options start
with a leading "--" prefix
Use --help to get a list of valid options

Any help please?
Thanks

oz

Aravisian

Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:02:09 pm

I never used it so looked it up.
Maybe one of these guides can help:
https://phoenixnap.com/kb/how-to-instal ... -on-ubuntu
It points out you must change the file permissions - make executable
https://vitux.com/how-to-install-xampp- ... ts-system/

ozstar

Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:28:47 pm

Looked at a few instructs before at other sites and forums but they were never quite clear enough for me.
Seemed to miss out on something when I tried them. I think it was the permission stuff that got me and this is what dfoes my head in with Linux. Still trying to get a grip on it so my work path is free of these things.
Did it many times with Windows and Lampp in the past too with no problems.
Many thanks Aravisian, will take a look.

ozstar

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:08:16 am

This where it is weird. The file is correctly named and it is definitely in Downloads as xampp-linux-x64-7.4.3-0-installer.run
but the terminal command doesn't find it.

Code:
david@david-HP-Compaq-6000-Pro-MT-PC:~/Downloads$ sudo chmod 755 xampp-linux-x64-7.4.3.0-installer.run
chmod: cannot access 'xampp-linux-x64-7.4.3.0-installer.run': No such file or directory
david@david-HP-Compaq-6000-Pro-MT-PC:~/Downloads$

Any clues why? Guess I'm not doing something :-)

Aravisian

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:23:32 am

ozstar wrote:Looked at a few instructs before at other sites and forums but they were never quite clear enough for me.
Seemed to miss out on something when I tried them. I think it was the permission stuff that got me and this is what dfoes my head in with Linux. Still trying to get a grip on it so my work path is free of these things.
Did it many times with Windows and Lampp in the past too with no problems.
Many thanks Aravisian, will take a look.

Maybe it needs chmod 777 -R...
If you prefer the GUI method, right click the file and hit Properties, then move over to the Permissions Tab (I believe it should be the same in Nautilus, anyway).
Check Ownership (make sure it is your user account, not Root), check attributes like read/write and ensure that "allow executing as a program" is checked. That will replace the Terminal Commands in that guide.

ozstar

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:46:01 pm

Thank you.

I tried both the GUI and Term with no luck and then discovered that the instruction page filename had a period in it whilst the actual file was a dash.

xampp-linux-x64-7.4.3.0-installer should be xampp-linux-x64-7.4.3-0-installer

Once I fixed that, the installation went smoothly however I noticed this in the Terminal.

david@david-HP-Compaq-6000-Pro-MT-PC:~/Downloads$ sudo ./xampp-linux-x64-7.4.3-0-installer.run
david@david-HP-Compaq-6000-Pro-MT-PC:~/Downloads$
** (gedit:20172): WARNING **: 07:13:10.733: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-position not supported

** (gedit:20243): WARNING **: 07:13:16.772: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-position not supported

In the GUI I could not start Apache or MySQL but remembered I had them running in my initial separate setup, so commanded them both to stop in the terminal and was then able to start them in the XAMPP GUI.

So other than that Warning above it all looks okay.

Should I leave my initial installs of Apache, MySQl etc there or should I disable or delete them?

I guess I will now explore what I have to move from my current var/www/html directory to the new XAMPP directory for the html files.

BTW. That site you linked to was a very good tutorial. Some of them are not, but
https://phoenixnap.com/kb/how-to-install-xampp-on-ubuntu
was very good.

Thanks Aravisian, appreciate it.

Aravisian

Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:17:02 pm

ozstar wrote:I tried both the GUI and Term with no luck and then discovered that the instruction page filename had a period in it whilst the actual file was a dash.

xampp-linux-x64-7.4.3.0-installer should be xampp-linux-x64-7.4.3-0-installer

Once I fixed that, the installation went smoothly

Yep... I should have thought of that...
Note for Future: NEVER rely on instructions to give the proper file name. An uploaded file may be updated many times after the instructions were statically set.
ALWAYS enter the file name as it is exactly seen in your computer. I have made this mistake a few times, too.

ozstar wrote:** (gedit:20172): WARNING **: 07:13:10.733: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-position not supported

** (gedit:20243): WARNING **: 07:13:16.772: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-position not supported

Those warnings are common, yes. This is from opening gedit though the Terminal Emulator using SuperUser privileges.
See, some things are installed in Root and operate from Root. Some are installed in Home and operate from Home. When you cross paths of the two, then it cannot access metadata in -the other Location- when run as -This location-.
It can be safely ignored, most of the time, but when editing using Root to change a text file; it is better when it comes to SAVING the document, to run it entirely within the terminal using nano.
Or Vim, if you prefer it.

ozstar

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:06:15 pm

Thanks