This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

No veo Windows XP

matto

Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:40:52 pm

Hola
cometí muchos errores de novato y ahora no se como salir de este enredo.
Instalé Zorin junto a Windows XP, todo funcionaba bien hasta que trate de conectarme a internet y wifi no conectaba.
desconecte el network manager y nunca más lo pude echar a andar, etonces tuve la genial idea de re instalar zorin.
El problema es que ya no funciona el menu dual, solo me muestra zorin y tampoco puedo acceder a los datos que tienen la particion con Windows XP.
No se como arreglar esto.

Por favor alguien que me ayude..y me explique con peras y manzanas.

Gracias.

Hi
I made a lot of rookie mistakes and now I don't know how to get out of this mess.
I installed Zorin with Windows XP, everything worked fine until I tried to connect to the internet and Wi-Fi did not connect.
I disconnected the network manager and I could never get it going again, so I had the great idea of re-installing Zorin.
The problem is that the dual menu no longer works, it only shows me zorin and I can't access the data that has the partition with Windows XP.
I don't know how to fix this.

Please someone to help me ... and explain me with pears and apples.

Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:09:08 pm

Hola! First off, if you can boot into Zorin, first backup all of you /home folder (don't forget to use Ctrl+ H to show all hidden files in your /home folder then create a folder in USB stick or external hard drive - name it 'Backup of Zorin home'. Use Ctrl+ A to select all items in your current /home folder then go to newly created folder on your chosen storage medium and press Ctrl+ V to paste into that folder).
Next use a live boot of Zorin to see if you can see your Windows XP partition. If it can't then your XP install may not have been shut down correctly. No Linux can see any Windows partition/drive if the last Windows shut down had to be a forced shut-down or some other corruption. To recover your mbr I advise you visit this page and use the free tools they provide:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/

Hope this helps!

Hola! En primer lugar, si puede arrancar en Zorin, primero copia de seguridad de todos / carpeta de inicio (no se olvide de utilizar Ctrl + H para mostrar todos los archivos ocultos en su carpeta /home y luego crear una carpeta en la memoria USB o disco duro externo - así decirlo 'Copia de seguridad de Zorin casa'. Utilice Ctrl+ A para seleccionar todos los elementos de la carpeta /home actual y luego vaya a la carpeta recién creada en el medio de almacenamiento elegido y presione Ctrl+ V para pegar en esa carpeta).
A continuación, utilice un arranque en vivo de Zorin para ver si puede ver la partición de Windows XP. Si no puede, es posible que la instalación de XP no se haya apagado correctamente. Ningún Linux puede ver ninguna partición o unidad de Windows si el último cierre de Windows tenía que ser un cierre forzado o alguna otra corrupción. Para recuperar su mbr le aconsejo que visite esta página y utilice las herramientas gratuitas que proporcionan:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/

¡Espero que esto ayude!

matto

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:59:37 pm

I think the original partition was affected in the safe installation.
Is it possible to solve that?
Nothing I tried was found.
I know that the data is there because I ran a windows application inside zorin and saw the folders and files.
but I can not recover the mbr to allow me to start windows in dual mode or directly ..

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:04:21 pm

That is going to be tricky if you have wiped out C:\drive. If you can mount the partition in Nautilus it should look something like this:

Windows.jpg

If you have lost Windows I would backup all the data from the Windows partition, then your Zorin /home, and then get a copy of Winows XP (Home?) from here:

https://archive.org/details/WXPSP2Home ;) :D