This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

No taskbar and desktop-shortcuts

qwertzu5

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:39:26 pm

Hello everyone,
after logging in I see the background image of the desktop, but no taskbar and no desktop shortcuts. Right mouse click does not work either. All these things worked fine until the day before yesterday. What to do?
Thanks for your hlp from a linux-newbie .

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:18:08 am

Hi, and welcome! I too have experienced this a couple of times over the weekend. I noticed some updates came through today - hopefully should have sorted things out. Please make sure that your Software updater is pointing to 'Main Server' and not your country's locale server. ;) :D

Aravisian

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:20:26 am

You may also try restarting your gnome-shell
Code:
gnome-shell --replace

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:00:34 pm

Or just logout and back in again - I've been thinking about this thread since my last reply. I am wondering if Gnome updates are circumventing Zorin's - their long-term (the Gnome project) aim is to disallow users from having icons on the desktop. (Next it will be censure on what wallpapers to have! :evil: )

star treker

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:23:22 pm

Strange issue indeed!

I just got a most recent update for Zorin OS, it was a small one, didn't require a restart or anything. But I restarted my computer today anyways, and so far everything is ok. Of course, I'm still on OS 12.4, so there might be some issues going on with OS 15.2 in regards to Gnome 18.04 IDK.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:33:33 pm

star treker wrote:Strange issue indeed!

I just got a most recent update for Zorin OS, it was a small one, didn't require a restart or anything. But I restarted my computer today anyways, and so far everything is ok. Of course, I'm still on OS 12.4, so there might be some issues going on with OS 15.2 in regards to Gnome 18.04 IDK.

Gnome Shell 3.30.2! ;) (Ubuntu 18.04) ;)

qwertzu5

Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:17:38 pm

Hello, what is the key combination for opening the terminal window? Thx

qwertzu5

Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:38:50 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Or just logout and back in again - I've been thinking about this thread since my last reply. I am wondering if Gnome updates are circumventing Zorin's - their long-term (the Gnome project) aim is to disallow users from having icons on the desktop. (Next it will be censure on what wallpapers to have! :evil: )

Hi Swarfendor437, thx for the tip, unfortunately it does not help.

carmar

Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:42:42 pm

qwertzu5 wrote:Hello, what is the key combination for opening the terminal window? Thx

Ctrl+Alt+t

qwertzu5

Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:34:44 pm

carmar wrote:
qwertzu5 wrote:Hello, what is the key combination for opening the terminal window? Thx

Ctrl+Alt+t

The following error message appears: "Key combination <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <t> could not be started. Child process" exo-open "could not be executed (file or directory not found)."
What to do? Thx

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:58:55 am

Hi, Are you running Core or Lite?

Aravisian

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:40:44 am

Edit- talk about a refresh page failure...

star treker

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:50:35 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
star treker wrote:Strange issue indeed!

Gnome Shell 3.30.2! ;) (Ubuntu 18.04) ;)

Thats what I get for coming on the forums being so tired lol. Either that, or I was just waking up at the time lol. :lol:

qwertzu5

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44:53 pm

Hello, I found out that the problem occurs after uninstalling standard programs (e.g. mail).
I reinstalled Zorin and won't uninstall anything for now.
Thx
qwertzu

star treker

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:11:35 pm

This is why it helps to have a large hard drive. I find that when you uninstall apps in Linux, sometimes it removes the dependencies in the process, which makes other apps malfunction. Its best to just leave the apps you installed on the drive. And most apps for Linux are less then 500MB, so if you have a 512GB drive or better, it won't matter.

ozstar

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:25:26 pm

Hi,

gnome-shell --replace

worked for me with 15.2.

After the command, the screen went black with the icons still there, then off altogether for a few seconds then it all came back with the taskbar at the lower screen with its icons.

Great !

Thanks

Aravisian

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:39:53 am

qwertzu5 wrote:Hello, I found out that the problem occurs after uninstalling standard programs (e.g. mail).
I reinstalled Zorin and won't uninstall anything for now.
Thx
qwertzu

I think StarTreker is probably right on this one- A dependency like the Desktop got removed along with an uninstall. And if StarTreker is correct about what happened- What you have done I have done several times, too.

That said, I would prefer that you not feel locked in like that you cannot uninstall anything.

Whether you use the Terminal or if you use Synaptic Package Manager, when you move to uninstall or remove a package, it will tell you what it will take along with it.
While Linux is generally very modular, some things are inter-dependent. This is true for any operating system. But in Linux, you have greater freedom and control to access those things. That can be a great thing when you need it, but it also can be trying when you don't expect it. Such as this.
So when you are removing a package, remember to Read The Output on the Terminal or in the Synaptic Popover window warning what it will take with it. IF it will take the Zorin-Desktop environment with it, or XFDesktop or Gnome Shell, you know to stop the removal process and not remove that particular package.
If it wants to remove objects that share the name of what you are removing, you are fine. If it wants to remove files beginning with 'lib..." then you are probably fine, too. Those library files are related to what you are removing. Most things can be safely removed, but Core objects or Shared Object Files generally are not.

Well, ok, you CAN remove ANYTHING you want- but it takes a bit of know-how and you must replace as you go for some things. At first, it's better to ignore the packages that are integrated and set the software you prefer to use as the default.
And if you have doubts or questions, please ask. But I would encourage you to fearlessly set out to do some Removals and learn the system. Back up any personal data, then forge ahead. Since you just did a fresh reinstall of the O.S., you have some room to play there.