This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

A type of "overscan" or border appears in Zorin OS windows

BraveOtter

Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:39:12 am

I have this problem. Someone know how to solve it?

Captura de pantalla de 2020-03-16 12-26-42.png

Zorin OS 15.2
Kernel Linux 5.3.0-40-generic
Intel® Core™ i7-4790
GeForce GTX 970
16 GB RAM

BraveOtter

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42:24 am

Up

zabadabadoo

Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:09:53 pm

Has this suddenly happened after a software (linux kernel) update or are you seeing it immediately after installing Zorin?
I cant say I have seen this on any Zorin versions I have gone through.
Do you get the same thing if you run Zorin live direct from a USB?
It would help others here help you if you provided some details about which version of Zorin and your hardware.

BraveOtter

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:29:41 pm

zabadabadoo wrote:Has this suddenly happened after a software (linux kernel) update or are you seeing it immediately after installing Zorin?
I cant say I have seen this on any Zorin versions I have gone through.
Do you get the same thing if you run Zorin live direct from a USB?
It would help others here help you if you provided some details about which version of Zorin and your hardware.

I just added details about hardware and Zorin version to OP.

The problem occurs after a big update of many things using Zorin software update assistant but I dont know how many things was updated. For this reason I ask if somebody have the same problem.

zabadabadoo

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:48:14 pm

I can't help you as I have not seen the problem myself using Z15.2 kernel 5.3.0-40.
If it only happened after that kernel update (via software updater) then have you tried rolling back by booting a previous kernel.
I have 5.3.0-42 as latest kernel, but also able to run previous versions:
5.3.0-40
5.3.0-28

zabadabadoo

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:27:29 pm

@BraveOtter
I don't know if you are still suffering your fat borders issue on Z15.2, which has gnome desktop.
I have just done a quick web search and found this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/474 ... gnome-3-26

That was asking how to make windows borders wider, wheras you are looking to do the opposite. however default value for normal border width is mentioned.

I was also wondering if there was some variable you could adjust using Gnome Tweaks (See Swarfendor437's unofficial manual p105), but I think not.
If you have not looked at the manual it can be downloaded, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14361