This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Instal XBMC

Jetlimaster

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:10:23 pm

Hello all.
Im new to linux and im an old fellow.40+ tried linux loong time ago but os was to hard.then im saw zorin os5 tried the fre werson and it was promising so im got me the ultimate one.:=)
Sadly mine favorite program XBMC not included in this realise . and now im realy confused how to instal new programs which not in the ubuntu sofware central. it is realy not user friendly whit all those terminal command and string and things im have eno clue how to use.
Feals im back 15 years ago in time and doing DOS :=(
it is any external program can help me insttal software im downloading fron the net? so much more easy both on mac and window,,you downlaod a package you klick on and it is installign self..why the linux community cant do the same way?
think that shoud help many emigrate fron windows.

so ask nr1 anyone can help me instal xbmc or im nead download the multimedia werson and instal over ultimate to get it working.

regards jetlimaster

sry for bad english but im old and blind :=)

Wolfman

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:14:37 pm

Hi,

before you use the PPA listed below, make sure that all other XBMC PPA's and the program itself have been removed from your system. Open Synaptic and go to "Settings > Repositories > Other Software and remove the existing PPA's (delete them from the list) and un-install XBMC first!!:

Then open a terminal and copy these commands one by one into it:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install xbmc

You will be asked for your password which you only need to enter once; as long as you keep the terminal window open while doing the install!!.

Hope this helps :D

If you have any problems, let us know!!.

Don't worry about your English, we understand you perfectly!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Jetlimaster

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:48:01 pm

Okey seams im getting samwhere..used the lines .cut and past..1 at the time and all together...it was same kinde of activite.saw that ..downloading xbmc,,but after all finnished i just cant find where it is..tryed rebot the computer but still cant se where is went :=)

Wolfman

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:31:46 am

Jetlimaster wrote:Okey seams im getting samwhere..used the lines .cut and past..1 at the time and all together...it was same kinde of activite.saw that ..downloading xbmc,,but after all finnished i just cant find where it is..tryed rebot the computer but still cant se where is went :=)

Look in the menu, if like you say, you were getting somewhere, it should be listed under Menu > Sound and Video.

madvinegar

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:31:56 am

If you are using the win7 look, you can click on the start button, and then type XBMC on the search field. When it appears in the list, click on it to launch it.

Otherwise I suspect it must be on the "sound and video" category.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:15:44 pm

An important footnote to installing XBMC!!.

It has the nasty habit of becoming the default OS, what you need to do if you log automatically into XBMC is go to the Control Center > System and then Login Screen, make sure that XBMC is not marked as a start option (Default OS)!!.

If you don't have auto login activated, you can select your default OS from the options window ( LOOK AT THE BOTTOM CENTER OF THE MAIN SCREEN FOR SOMETHING LIKE: UBUNTU CLASSIC) at the login screen!!. If you boot into XBMC by chance, shut the program down (EXIT) and do what I said above!.

PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE CHANGED THE PPA ON MY EARLIER POST, THE OTHER ONE WAS NO GOOD. I HAVE TRIED THE NEW ONE OUT AND IT WORKS FINE!!.

Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (502.58 KiB)

Jetlimaster

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:34:14 pm

Thx wolfman the new ppa worked and xbmc is on the meny...only problem it is not starting. need open gl hardware rendering it says.....hm im installed all the new drivers i coud se
..mine laptop is new Thosiba p755-119

Jetlimaster

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:05:38 pm

Sadly im:big pupu.:=(( forgot check the xbmc startupp option before restarted the computer..so now every time im try log in it trying log in to xbmc..which shoud be okey if xbmc was working ..but it is not so its crash and im back to log in screen again ..and its goes around :=(( lucky have 2 computer at home so i can write this msg.:=)

Wolfman

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:02:13 pm

Jetlimaster wrote:Sadly im:big pupu.:=(( forgot check the xbmc startupp option before restarted the computer..so now every time im try log in it trying log in to xbmc..which shoud be okey if xbmc was working ..but it is not so its crash and im back to log in screen again ..and its goes around :=(( lucky have 2 computer at home so i can write this msg.:=)

When you are at the login screen, look at the bottom and you will see a few options, one of the options is which session should be run, if as you say; it says "xbmc", click on the menu tab to the right of the name and select a different session type, like Ubuntu Classic for example!!.

Jetlimaster

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:00:22 pm

hello folks..sry hade much to do so i coud not report mine progress but here its goes..i coud not use the recovery becose what ever im try to chose it want log in too xbmc and crashing :=(( so only option front of me is reinstall..im just started play whit linux so dont have much configuration and saved date so it it okey ..but im think this misstake coud learn both me and the linux community a little bit how it is not shoud be whit linux and what kinde of problem they nead to fix to make linux more user friendly :=)) im only installed a program which taking over restart and then i cant boot in to mine system ..its never happened for me ever in any windows sytem :=)
Anyway gonna install and go again!! just before im doing same idiot misstake..can im just stop in the ultimate dvd and install over the linux im have or better reset whit format the linux partition and mayby reinstal original boot so im do a fresh install ?
after im posted im noticed the last post most be im not refreshed mine browser :=) but the bottom i can only se shut down ,time and universal acess preference..not av them give me option ju wrote about

Many thx anyway for this community to be so wery helpfull..

Anonymous

Tue May 28, 2013 11:01:14 am

I posted a complete guide for everyone way back in January for XBMC 12 Frodo. If they followed the instructions I gave on the thread..it will work every time..long as they meet the basic requirements.

Link : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4113

Wolfman

Tue May 28, 2013 11:18:27 am

Wolfman wrote:An important footnote to installing XBMC!!.

It has the nasty habit of becoming the default OS, what you need to do if you log automatically into XBMC is go to the Control Center > System and then Login Screen, make sure that XBMC is not marked as a start option (Default OS)!!.

If you don't have auto login activated, you can select your default OS from the options window ( LOOK AT THE BOTTOM CENTER OF THE MAIN SCREEN FOR SOMETHING LIKE: UBUNTU CLASSIC) at the login screen!!. If you boot into XBMC by chance, shut the program down (EXIT) and do what I said above!.

PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE CHANGED THE PPA ON MY EARLIER POST, THE OTHER ONE WAS NO GOOD. I HAVE TRIED THE NEW ONE OUT AND IT WORKS FINE!!.

Screenshot-1.png

Please take the time to read through these points again too!!.