This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dummy output sound Zorin OS 15.

pseptiawan_

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:19:40 am

Hello everyone
i am running in Zorin OS 15 in "Linux uname 5.3.0-42-generic #34~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 28 13:42:26 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux".
i have an issues with sound output that shows dummy output in settings. it seems happened because my soundcard didn't detected. i have already try some solution in another forum, and didn't get the solution for me. thank you so much
i hope somebody can help me

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:19:46 pm

Before I respond:

1. Monitor - HDMI or VGA
2. Make and model (chipset if onboard) of Audio Card.

Thanks.

pseptiawan_

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:48:16 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Before I respond:

1. Monitor - HDMI or VGA
2. Make and model (chipset if onboard) of Audio Card.

Thanks.

i use in my laptop, acer swift 3, core i3-7020u. audio onboard intel HD audio.
i can't use my built in audio sound, and wired headset, it always shows as dummy output. the sound works fine when i use bluetooth speaker.
Thank you so much for your kindness

zabadabadoo

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:00:25 pm

I had a on-board sound problem a few months back after a software update. Read here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14815

My solution at the time was a bit weird. I installed the Audacity audio app and sound miraculously came back.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:22:25 pm

Hi, I know this is a solution for a desktop but would be interested to know if you get similar results using the commands in this article:

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/06/f ... ue-in.html

Also, see if installing Pulse Audio Volume Control helps (or hinders).

You could also try installing ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Arhictecture). My rig is a composite of Pulse and ALSA combined as when Zorin 15 first came out, my onboard sound card was not compatible with Ubuntu 18.04 on which Zorin 15 is based. I thought I would treat myself to a Soundblaster Audigy 5 RX - had lots of issues which led to bits of ALSA having to be installed to get it to work:

alsa-utils
apulse
gstreamer1.0-alsa
libalsaplayer0
libao-common
libao4
libasound2
libasound2-data
libasound2-plugins (x2)
libasound2:i386
libecereaudio0
libpcaudio0