This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Cannot pin Chromium to taskbar

Technobabble

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:52:31 pm

For other applications, I can open the application, right click on the taskbar icon, and select pin application. However, this does not work for the Chromium browser. Right clicking on the Chromium taskbar icon brings up a menu but it does not list "pin application" as an option. I installed Chromium from the Ubuntu Software Center. It's the standard version of Chromium. I did not see any other post addressing this issue. Thanks!

Technobabble

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:08:09 am

Thanks! That worked. It also seems that rebooting might have had an affect, as well. Later on, I was able to right click and pin Chromium the normal way. Either way, this issue is solved. Thanks again!

shakey

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:22:10 pm

I think the applet you are referring to is called "DocBarX".
It adds an aesthetic level to your docked applications such as Thumbnail previews of open windows & "pinning" new apps.
If this applet died with unexpectedness, or you removed it by accident, simply Right-click on the panel and choose "Add to Panel".
From the list of applets that appears, select and add "DocBarX". Right click and move it somewhere nifty, then right click on one of it's edges and choose "lock to panel".
The same can be done for the other default applets such as the "Indicator Applet Complete", "Show desktop", and "GnoMenu".

buzzy

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:18:40 pm

I am having the same problem. I would not really say that this "solves" the issue. It does indeed put a "pinned" shortcut on the taskbar, but when I launch the application, it creates a "running" copy in the taskbar, giving 2 icons in the taskbar. How to solve this issue?

Another issue I am having is that if I right-click on an icon on the taskbar and choose the "close" option, nothing happens. Only me having this problem?

Wolfman

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:36:58 am

buzzy wrote:I am having the same problem. I would not really say that this "solves" the issue. It does indeed put a "pinned" shortcut on the taskbar, but when I launch the application, it creates a "running" copy in the taskbar, giving 2 icons in the taskbar. How to solve this issue?

Another issue I am having is that if I right-click on an icon on the taskbar and choose the "close" option, nothing happens. Only me having this problem?

Hi buzzy,

have you fully updated your system, please take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

And here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

What version of Zorin are you using??.

Regards Wolfman :D

buzzy

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:30:55 am

Wolfman wrote:
buzzy wrote:I am having the same problem. I would not really say that this "solves" the issue. It does indeed put a "pinned" shortcut on the taskbar, but when I launch the application, it creates a "running" copy in the taskbar, giving 2 icons in the taskbar. How to solve this issue?

Hi buzzy,

have you fully updated your system, please take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

And here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

What version of Zorin are you using??.

Regards Wolfman :D

Hi,

I downloaded and installed it yesterday, so I should be on the latest version. I also ran the "dist-upgrade" to be sure and that told me no updates are needed.

Btw, when I rebooted the machine, all the icons on the taskbar that I added with the sollution in this thread are now just blue boxes that does not work, except for "qBittorrent" and "Firefox".
Other icons like "jEdit" and "Krusader" are blue boxes.
Clicking on the "Firefox" or "qBittorrent" that has the "real" icons, does nothing. No application is launching.

This is how I added the icons.

1. Search for the application in the start-menu
2. Right-click on the icon found and chose "Create desktop shortcut"
3. Icon appears on the desktop, but is not usable (this behaves like a bug to me?)
4. Right-click the icon on the desktop and change the permission to "run the app". This makes the icon change to the "real" one.
5. Drag the icon to the taskbar to "pin" it.
6. Delete the icon on the desktop.

buzzy

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:15:28 am

swarfendor437 wrote:The shortcut created on the desktop is not a bug - it is a security measure!

Why would I want to create a shortcut on the desktop that does not work? Seems very odd security measure to me :)

Btw, I am on 5.2 64bit. I see there is a 6 Lite. Is the lite-version newer than the main one?

mauriciograciag

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:18:07 pm

To create a SHORT CUT on the DESKTOP and PIN THE PROGRAM

In case you are using Zorin 8 there are two way that I just used learned

1. Go to the Zorin Menu (botton left) browse to the program that you want to PIN (for example Libreoffice Writer) and
2 RIGHT CLICK and select "Create a shortcut on the Desktop".
3. Launch the program from the Desktop Shortcut (to test that it works)
4. RIGHT CLICK on the running program ICON at the BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN and select PIN

If the program does not show any RIGHT CLICK menu on STEP 2, then you can LEFT CLICK and DRAG IT to the DESKTOP on an empty space (it will show an ICON with the PLUS SIGN) and release it. then you can continue on step 3
B.

Sandy 114

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:08:43 pm

Hi there, An absolute Newby here, so please be gentle with me. I was experiencing a similar problem to the one being discussed here, I am using Zorin 12 and have just downloaded it. I also, could not add an icon to the task-bar, unless I had a window open, there were no Icons at all visible. I have searched for DocBarX and can’t find anything of that description on the operating system. However I went into < Settings >< Zorin Apperance>< Desktop>< and in the layout found I was on the Windows like layout with written applications in the task-bar. If I Right Clicked on these written applications I was only given Minimize, Maximize or Close. I altered the layout to The Windows layout with Icons, in the task-bar, I now had (when Right clicking on the Icon), the Window I was in, New Window, Add to Favorites, Show details, and Quit Window, in a pop-up menu. Once added to Favorites the Icon remained in the task-bar and was usable as far as opening the desired window. So thanks for the insight and the leads that gave pointers.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:52:01 am

Sandy 114 wrote:Hi there, An absolute Newby here, so please be gentle with me. I was experiencing a similar problem to the one being discussed here, I am using Zorin 12 and have just downloaded it. I also, could not add an icon to the task-bar, unless I had a window open, there were no Icons at all visible. I have searched for DocBarX and can’t find anything of that description on the operating system. However I went into < Settings >< Zorin Apperance>< Desktop>< and in the layout found I was on the Windows like layout with written applications in the task-bar. If I Right Clicked on these written applications I was only given Minimize, Maximize or Close. I altered the layout to The Windows layout with Icons, in the task-bar, I now had (when Right clicking on the Icon), the Window I was in, New Window, Add to Favorites, Show details, and Quit Window, in a pop-up menu. Once added to Favorites the Icon remained in the task-bar and was usable as far as opening the desired window. So thanks for the insight and the leads that gave pointers.

Hi, you can install dockbarx to Zorin12 Beta:

Dockbarx.jpg

To add it, follow these installation instructions in a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install dockbarx dockbarx-themes-extra

The screenshot is of Zorin 12 Beta 64-bit in Live Mode (failed install again) of 64-bit version. DockbarX - press Alt+ F2 to get App Launcher and type "dockx" to launch. Open your apps then pin to dockbarx - I have coloured the background of dockbarx to Red to make it stand out. ;) :D

[With acknowledgements to: http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-lin ... ntu-linux/ ]

Sandy 114

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:39:13 pm

Thanks for the info, I followed the instructions, once entered into the terminal the answer was:

~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:niarimogard/webupd8
[sudo] password for zorin12:
Cannot add PPA: 'ppa:~niarimogard/ubuntu/webupd8'.
ERROR: '~niarimogard' user or team does not exist.

I copied and pasted the command from the info you provided so it's not to make my usual mistake of incorrect typing.

I would like to install the dockbarx so if you could perhaps advise me further I would be grateful.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:38:18 pm

Sandy 114 wrote:Thanks for the info, I followed the instructions, once entered into the terminal the answer was:

~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:niarimogard/webupd8
[sudo] password for zorin12:
Cannot add PPA: 'ppa:~niarimogard/ubuntu/webupd8'.
ERROR: '~niarimogard' user or team does not exist.

I copied and pasted the command from the info you provided so it's not to make my usual mistake of incorrect typing.

I would like to install the dockbarx so if you could perhaps advise me further I would be grateful.

My bad! :oops:

There was a typo error on my part - thought I had corrected it first time round! Please check my original post - there was an 'l' added after the first 'i' - you should be good to go now. :D

Sandy 114

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:26:58 am

Thanks for that, panic over and sorted, appreciated.