This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Brother no support for LInux need hl2140 in Zorin

tcbear

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:36:50 pm

Read all the posts relevant to Brother printers in the forum. None of them worked. Installed both the LPR printer driver and CUPwrapper printer driver (deb packages) from Brother support center using Gdebi package installer because their installation tool shows up as corrupted. Doesn't work. The printer works in my Vista side of dual boot so it isn't the printer. Seems a shame to waste a good laser printer. Anyone have any ideas as to how to get this printer going?

ImpWarfare

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53:14 pm

Could you download this: https://download.brother.com/welcome/dl ... 2.2.1-1.gz

Extract it and it should contain a script file if it does do sudo sh linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.1-1 and then follow the on-screen instructions from the terminal.

Also the file is from the HL2140 section in drivers and support see https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... pe-625_0_1

Its in the Utilities section not the other sections.

tcbear

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:24:07 pm

Thanks but driver is already installed but not working.

ImpWarfare

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:31:03 pm

tcbear wrote:Thanks but driver is already installed but not working.

Have you installed system-config-printer? If you have some of the "Brother" printers or all in ones require you to manually enter the devices IP Address to properly install after installing the drivers you can usually find this on your broadband hub which tends to be usually at the address 192.168.0.1 depending on the hub itself and then you have to enter if it asks the username and password but it should be revealed by your ISP. Could you look into this on your end?

tcbear

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:00:34 pm

Have installed system-config-printer. Have played with this ad infinitatum with no success. Don't understand the broadband hub issue you described. But the problem is definitely that the Zorin is not communicating with the printer.

tcbear

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:13:01 pm

my apologies to ImpWarfare I did not installed system-config-printer. Thinking of something else. Am exhausted with this problem and need to take a break. Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07:48 am

system-config-printer is already in the terminal commands.

I thought I had posted an answer to this (perhaps a different brother printer).

This is how you should install network printers as the current interface in Zorin 15 (Printers in Settings) does not work well.

Code:
sudo system-config-printer

If the printer is connected to the hub (wifi) then when using this method and you search for printers on the network the brother should show up. Some printers need assigning an IP address by connecting by usb cable first - don't know if the same applies to brother. ;) :D

tcbear

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:54:55 pm

Thanks Swarf but the hl2140 does not show up in the list and this doesn't work. USB cable was connected. And the printer is not an all-in-one. Hope someone has a solution. Don't want to junk a good laser printer.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:33:33 pm

Hopefully this askubuntu thread that helped someone else will help you too - please be sure to read all of it:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1156291 ... er/1156294

Keep us posted! ;) :D

tcbear

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:32:45 am

SOLVED Spent many hours on this to my ultimate frustration. Simple solution if you only know what to do. Worked for me !!!!!! THANKS TO SWARFENDOR for his encouragement and constant hope of finding a solution.

For the newbies these are the steps I followed;
- Download the LPR and CUPS drivers (deb) for the hl2140 from Brother downloads site.
- Install drivers with GDebi package installer. (the installation tool at Brother read as corrupted)
- Verify installation in Synaptic.

Then I found the following on the website ASK UBUNTU.com after Firefox search for problems with hl2140 printer. These were the final steps which eluded me for a very long time.

(1) Add the Printer Normally (If not already added) : Plug the printer into your computer with the USB. Go to printers and add the printer normally.

(2) Change driver : Double click on the Brother printer to open properties. ( Image of printer properties ) Click the "Change" button beside "Make and Model". Select "Brother" (if not already selected) and then click "Forward". (Change Driver Window) Select a driver other than the "Foomatic/Postcript" (or the current driver). I selected the "Footmatic/hl1250 [en]" Driver.

(3) Existing Settings: On this page I selected "Try to copy the option settings over from old PPD" and clicked apply. Print a test page. If you still get continues blank pages, change the driver and try again. This method worked for me on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (32-bit).

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:14:22 pm

Yay! :D :D :D