This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin and Graphics Drivers

jason2704_123

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:40:15 pm

Hi there Loving Zoring OS. Worth the money for the Ultimate version. Thanks for the app updates and the Alsa mixer it fixed my 2 inoperative channels, were some reason why muted. I feel add an Equalizer, I couldn't get the one in store to work but https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/05/p ... wBlXzzy4XI does. and add timeshift as it's excellent and access to more themes. I feel the Graphics accelerator driver is not working. Nvidia Geforce GTX770. They list it on Genuine Nvidia site as a .run file but cannot install it because one is running. Other than that Better than windows 10. Very nicce OS Thank you Ladies and Gents. Best money on an OS I spent. Can I post links for Joe to review it as he does great youtube videos please. Thanks :D

mdiemer

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:02:35 pm

What driver are you talking about? If this is an old card, it may not work with Nvidia drivers, only the default Nouveau drivers. This is because of the Linux kernel having progressed beyond older video cards. Basically, the last Linux kernel that supports older cards is 4.4. This will support the 304 Nvidia driver. However, Linux systems that are based on that kernel are from 2016. Few Linux systems that old are still fully supported.

On the other hand, if the card is not that old, it should in theory work. when did you buy this card?

mdiemer

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:44:04 pm

I just did some research. Your card came out in 2013. I have a GS 8400. which came out in 2007, 6 years older than yours. My card will not work with Linux kernel >4.4. Yours should, however.
Have you updated your Zorin yet? If not, do so, and then run the driver manager. It should give you the option to install Nvidia drivers.

If you have to do a manual install, I wish you luck. While possible, it involves deactivating the Nouveau drivers; installing the Nvidia while not having a GUI; etc. If not possible to use this card you may want to consider upgrading it to a newer one, if budget allows.

carmar

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:07:48 pm

Fwiw, under Software Updater -> Additional Drivers, you should have a number of drivers show up - some open source, some proprietary. I recall having to switch my desktop's (GeForce 750Ti) driver from the default loaded driver to a different one otherwise the GPU fan never stopped running.