This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Use intel Graphics and Nividia

loyaleagle

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:10:51 am

Hi,

I am just wondering if there is something that can automatically switch my Asus laptop from the GeForce GTX 1050 T1 mobile to the Intel integrated graphics in Zorin OS 15.2. In Ubuntu Mate, you can use an optimus applet, however it does not work in Zorin. Bumblebee is also very problematic. Any ideas? I just hate having to switch back and forth manually and am looking for a possible answer. So far, I am just using the GeForce graphics card, but is murder on my battery. Also, I have too much time on my hands.....

Thanks,
Benoit (and please take care of yourself and your loved ones. We will beat this coronavirus. No doubt about it!)

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:02:51 pm

This guide is for Linux gaming so is biased to nVidia but it might help?

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/c ... a_optimus/

Keep us posted.

loyaleagle

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:03:59 am

Your link worked somewhat.
I saw that prime was already installed through the ubuntu repositories. So I added a gnome extension that gave me the ability to choose on the fly. It is called " prime indicator". You can choose which gpu, intel or nvidia, and it logs you out so that you can log back in with your correct selection. Not perfect, but better then having to "software & updates" and choose in there before rebooting. the prime indicator does not require reboot, just logging out and then back in.