This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

GUI Backup program for Zorin

TouchOdeath

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:19:33 pm

I am running Zorin 15.2 Lite. I don't see a backup program installed. What is the best GUI application to get a snapshot/backup of Zorin?

Doing a forum search yielded an old thread recommending redo backup. Is this still relevant? It seems like the general consensus is that rsync is the way to go. What do you guys recommend?

LuckyBackup, rsnapshot, timeshift? Any applications on this site: https://www.tecmint.com/linux-system-backup-tools/

P.S. this is my first day on this new Zorin distro, so far its super dope! Nice work!

Aravisian

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:08:08 am

You have named various options- there is also Duplicity BackUp.
The only recommendation is that you try them, read up on how they work and see which one suits your needs or that you prefer the most. Because they pretty much work mostly the same.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:09:33 pm

I can highly reccomend Timeshift - it comes as standard in FerenOS - I had to use it recently on her ladyships PC which was suffering something similar to someone who might have been playing with Windows 10 insider on a different drive and when booting into Windows 7 gets the splash screen but then just a black screen and mouse - no desktop. I had to go into advanced | safe mode, dropped to root shell and enter:

Code:
timeshift --restore "number date and time of snapshot to restore" /dev/sdb
this would be dev/sda if installed on the first drive.

On reboot, system sorted. If you are going to use Timeshift you need to ensure that you do a manual install of Zorin so you have separate '/' (root system partition) and separate '/home' partition - the latter to hold your snapshots. In fact it is one of the Apps I recommend should be installed in the unofficial manual that I authored. ;) :D