This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Mouse and keyboard freeze-ups

newzedder

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:42:10 pm

With Zorin 15 Ultimate running fine in all areas, thought I would have a trouble-free period....but no. Inexplicable lock-ups on mouse and keyboard. Have had two this morning, and yet yesterday and the day before, I ran the computer all day with no problems. It is random. I have tried replacement mice and keyboards but the same things happen. The same mice/keyboards equipment work fine, however, on my old computer (running Zorin 12).
I should add they are wired USB types, not wireless.
I'm assuming it is a driver issue but am not sure where to take this now. All software is up to date as far as I can see.
Some web-searches reveal lots of people with these problems (not involving Zorin though) but the solutions are not often easy to understand or carry out.

Aravisian

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:24:58 pm

newzedder wrote:With Zorin 15 Ultimate running fine in all areas, thought I would have a trouble-free period....but no. Inexplicable lock-ups on mouse and keyboard. Have had two this morning, and yet yesterday and the day before, I ran the computer all day with no problems. It is random. I have tried replacement mice and keyboards but the same things happen. The same mice/keyboards equipment work fine, however, on my old computer (running Zorin 12).
I should add they are wired USB types, not wireless.
I'm assuming it is a driver issue but am not sure where to take this now. All software is up to date as far as I can see.
Some web-searches reveal lots of people with these problems (not involving Zorin though) but the solutions are not often easy to understand or carry out.

Before this goes much further- after a recent update, I had trouble with my keyboard locking up. The mouse would stop working. It's optical mouse, the red light that shines out would just vanish.
It also became hesitant- I would type a key and as much as a third of a second to one full second would pass before the computer responded- which you can easily imagine was a pretty big problem.
I trawled the web for many days and tried many solutions.
Then I unplugged my keyboard and plugged it into a different USB port and the problem was solved. The problem turned out to be my USB hub.
Now, this probably won't help you- I do not know... But the takeaway is that it is easy to think the recent update did it. It is easy to think that a Change must of caused it and for good reason. But USB is USB and always has been so far- Not all that reliable. In my case it was a Hub, but the ports on the computer can be just as finicky, at times.
You might also try the xorg-input-all solution, as well. That is if you are using the open source Xorg drivers. If not- you may try using the Xorg drivers to see if that helps.

newzedder

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:53:01 pm

Thanks. I have several other usb ports at rear and front of the computer to try out, so can do....I don't like having to crash the system each time the mouse freezes but there are no other options. Since I posted this, the mouse has been ok (sshhh!!), but tomorrow, who knows? I don't know what drivers the mouse is using, I didn't add anything special after the installation. I'll try other ports then if/when it happens again.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:34:03 pm

Have you checked for Motherboard driver updates? (BIOS)

newzedder

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:30:39 pm

As it happens, on Friday I did a check for new Windows 10 updates (sorry, Swarfendor I missed your post/reply yesterday). One of the updates was for BIOS, which appeared along with a few others, including a firmware one. Despite loading those, I still had mouse freezes afterwards...and a most odd freeze-up of the audio system, while listening to a podcast. The speaking voice simply stopped and repeated the last syllable over and over again. At precisely the same time, the mouse on-screen had also frozen. Further digging around online led me to a tech article suggesting that Realtek HD Audio management can be a culprit when mice freeze....goodness knows why, that's beyond my knowledge-bank....but that by disabling it in the Windows Task manager, it should fix the mouse problems.
So I've done that, this morning. So far, since then no freeze-ups in either of the operating systems. But sshhh it's too early to be confident. Please pray for my mouse.

star treker

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:39:37 am

I have a strange problem sometimes where my keyboard will suddenly stop working. But I feel it important to mention that its not the keyboard itself, as its a top of the line gaming keyboard from Corsair, but rather a bug in the OS that has been well documented already. Would you believe I've been able to solve that simply by loading up a terminal window? Yeah, it totally works! And in the rare times when that doesn't work, usually if I unplug the keyboard, and plug it back in, that will fix it. And of course, if all else fails, you always have the option to restart the computer. ;)

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:06:55 am

star treker wrote:I have a strange problem sometimes where my keyboard will suddenly stop working. But I feel it important to mention that its not the keyboard itself, as its a top of the line gaming keyboard from Corsair, but rather a bug in the OS that has been well documented already. Would you believe I've been able to solve that simply by loading up a terminal window? Yeah, it totally works! And in the rare times when that doesn't work, usually if I unplug the keyboard, and plug it back in, that will fix it. And of course, if all else fails, you always have the option to restart the computer. ;)

I had to do the unplug keyboard and back in again with Fedora 31 workstation in live mode! Also a gaming keyboard (I didn't buy it for gaming, just like the illuminated keyboard = but the keys don't light up which is a bit crazy but at £9.99 it was a steal and is exactly the same keyboard CoolerMaster were seeling for nearly 4 times as much!) :D