This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS not booting since last update

hugn

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:07:12 am

Zorin OS suddenly stops booting. In the boot menu, zorinOS is selected first, then the screen remains black and that's it. The OS ran inconspicuously for a few weeks, and also did no system changes, only the regular updates

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:06:50 pm

Hi, you have some inconsistencies on your hard drive. That is why you have to do a manual fsck check. To do this start in Advanced | Safe mode. From the menu, select the root terminal option then enter:

Code:
fsck /dev/sd[letter and number of where Zorin resides]

If Zorin is the only OS on the system, then it should be /dev/sda.

Say yes [y] to any requests to repair if it should occur. For a good example of the commands available to you:

https://www.computerhope.com/unix/fsck.htm

Keep us posted.

If you keep getting the error it could mean a potential hard drive failure. If you know the manufacturer of the hard drive in your machine they have hard drive testing tools that can be run from usb/cd. ;) :D

hugn

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:12:52 pm

Is recovery mode the same as safe mode? As you can see in the screenshot, recovery mode ends in initramfs, fsck does not work from there… And what is the command for list all hard drives?

Thanks a lot

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:13:38 pm

When you boot up keep the left Shift key held down to view GRUB Menu - you want Advanced then from what is shown the bottom option of the current kernel in safe mode - this should bring a menu of red on blue - choose the root command prompt. I had to do a rescue of my ladies FerenOS rig and I couldn't remember for certain what drive letter it was (sdb as it happened) so I used GParted live to view the drives first - alternatively you could boot using your live media of Zorin and search for gparted in Windows 7 menu to check. ;) :D

hugn

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:56:44 am

Now I know the drive name and number. Great
But I can't make it, no matter where & when I press the shift key, to get into the Safe mode or Grub Menu...
why is that so damn complicated :(

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:19:15 am

Hi, I've never tried this myself but you might first of all want to boot from your Zorin media that you used to install Zorin with and then backup your /home folder before proceeding, ensuring that all hidden files are shown (hidden files start with a dot '.' in their name - if not showing press Ctrl+ H). After backing up, leave your Zorin live disk in and open a terminal and give yourself root privileges by entering the following command:

Code:
sudo -s
You will then be asked for your login password which in live mode I think is blank so just hit enter.

Once at root terminal, enter the fsck command I told you in earlier post.

Keep us posted. ;) :D

hugn

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:00:44 am

I'm in the live system now, but it doesn't work. Doesn't want to be annoying :) but is the command for fsck correct?

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:08:43 am

Hi, I notice a key at the side of sdd2 which means it is mounted - you can't run fsck on a mounted drive.

In the terminal enter:

Code:
umount /dev/sdd2

Then run the fsck command.

I also noticed you installed using LVM - I never use this option as it can also cause issues. I've never had a need to use it. Is the disk an SSD? If it is it should always be formatted to Ext2 as Ext3 and Ext4 are journaling file systems that will shorten the life of the SSD. ;) :D

hugn

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:21:58 am

SSD is not mounted.

I give up, linux f***s me. I have been trying to get rid of windows for a long time, but it runs and runs and problems are easy to fix. Linux, on the other hand, causes me tons of problems, poor font presentation, problems with drivers, updates lead to big problems like now here, I have to rummage through countless help forums. I had ubuntu, mint, zorin, fedora, arch etc ... sooner or later nothing worked any more.
But I thank you for your quick support

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:32:39 am

Then the key suggests you have encrypted the volume. Then follow the answer to the questioner posted here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions ... untu_1910/

OK, how are you connecting to the forum? If access to another PC download Rescatux from here:

https://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/

This also has GRUB repair tools. I've had issues with Linux but nothing that couldn't be solved - that's because I like a challenge - my dad tinkered with broken engines and got them working again. I tinker with computers and get issues resolved - usually! There have been some issues in other posts to do with LVM which is only needed if you intend to start making partitions bigger. If you do a manual install, the best method, you reduce your problems.

1. 50 Mb FAT32 for ESP/EFI
2. 50 Gb Ext2 if SSD Ext4 if HDD marked as '/'
3. Extended partition inside of which:
a. End bit first - double the number of your RAM for Linux swap (for HDD only - not required if SSD)
b. Format to Ext2 if SSD and mark as /home (for HDD everything else in front of linux-swap Ext4 and mark as '/home'

I never bother with encryption - even on Windows this fails - I had to set up an encrypted partition on a computer at work many years ago. Windows fell over - and all the data was lost as encryption looks for a key from the installed OS if anything goes wrong with the OS and needs a fresh install the data goes west. Also the same is true of Linux. Going way way back to my purchase of OpenSuse 9.3 Professional the installer warns that encrypting can lead to serious data loss so best avoided at all costs. ;) :D

hugn

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:36:13 am

goodbye and stay healthy

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:41:29 am

You give up too easily my friend - you stay safe and healthy too.

I'm currently working from home and using Linux to produce all the work for the youngsters with vision problems and no issues here apart from having to use the **** Ugly Office 365! :lol:

hugn

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:51:09 am

Too easy? I've been trying to get the system up and running again for days. During that time I could have installed it 20 times. The opportunity costs just no longer justify that I spend more time on this toy

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:51:27 pm

It is no toy friend. ;) :D