This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Settings > "zorin appearance" disappears

Reka

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:08:36 am

Hello everybody,

I don't know what I did but my item Zorin appearance disappears from my settings menu.
What can I do to restore it, please ?
Do you have any idea to solve this tiny problem ?

In adavance, thank you for your help and support.
Take care of yourselves

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29:47 pm

I'm guessing this is Zorin 15 Lite looking at the screenshot of your Settings folder. Please wait for our resident Lite expert, Aravisian to resolve this for you. ;) :D

Aravisian

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:51:06 pm

Zorin Appearance applies to Gnome desktop. Zorin Lite uses XFCE desktop and so the simple "Appearance" app is what you need to adjust your Theme, fonts and Icons.
You'll need to select "Window Manager" to change your window borders.
The panel settings are located in the XFCE4-panel-settings and you can access that by right clicking the panel.

Reka

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:58:51 pm

Thanks for your quick answers.

I'm on Zorin 15 lite, yes.

It seems to me that Zorin Appearance exists with XFCE aka Zorin Lite, I had it yet yesterday...
Image :/

My theme continues to change on the morning and in the evening, I chose the second option, light / dark theme alternately... (second option, in the middle of the window) :

I suppose I made a mistake... but how to solve that ?
Do you have an idea?

I'd installed Adapta as theme and another icons set
Possible it caused that disappearance ?

Aravisian

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:17:40 pm

Yes, it exists on Zorin Lite, however "appearance" does the same exact function.
On Core and Ultimate (Gnome), Zorin Appearance extends beyond the basic settings with better performance.
On Lite (XFCE) it performs the same functions as the existing Window Manager and Appearance app.

Why it disappeared, I do not know without retracing your steps. Installing a theme like Adapta and Icons should not remove the Appearance App.
If you prefer the integrated Zorin Appearance, you might try reinstalling it from terminal.
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorinos/stable

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install zorin-appearance

Code:
sudo apt-get install zorin-appearance-layouts-xfce-core

EDIT:
Oh, one thing I forgot- You might also Log Out, then check the gear icon to see if you are logging in to XFCE session or to Zorin Desktop.

Reka

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:55:25 pm

Thanks a lot for this answer.
I was hoping ...
But unluckily, it didn't work.

Aravisian

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:32:16 pm

And you did check with desktop you are logging into?

Reka

Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:24:09 pm

Aravisian wrote:And you did check with desktop you are logging into?

Yes, of course. Never has changed. No idea about what I made or what I have to do to solve that.

I tried to launch zorin-appearance from terminal, I got these messages :

Aravisian

Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:49:08 pm

I'm at a loss as to how that could just vanish, too. If the Zorin Desktop was removed, that could do it and removing some packages manually or with Synaptic could remove it along with as a dependency.
When removing software, always check what it wants to take with it... I have learned this the hard way.
As I said, it is not essential and the "appearance" app you have performs the same function - I never even used Zorin Appearance when using Zorin Lite.
You may try installing
Code:
sudo apt-get install zorin-dekstop

To see if it was removed, somehow.

In the end, you may ultimately do an O.S. reinstall if you want to really ensure that you have all aspects of Zorin installed.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:23:58 pm

Or you could start in Advance Mode then Safe Graphics Mode to run DPKG - but be sure you have a solid internet connection first.
If it does find missing pkgs it will let you know but after it has run, DON'T select 'Continue' - power off and reboot. ;) :D

Reka

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:17:02 am

Thanks again for your help, everybody !

It seems it is impossible to find zorin-desktop
=> E: Impossible de trouver le paquet zorin-desktop

I will reinstall my OS when my extern hard drive will come, I have some files to backup ;)

About your idea, Swarfendor, I'm afraid I'm a little bit too noob to dare that kind of operation :D ...

Aravisian

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:36:17 pm

Yes, try a re-install.
Wow, am I going crazy? There has been a spate of people saying things are not located that should be in the repository.