This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing games on linux

Solidor

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:51:59 am

Finally got linux up and running -- now its time to get some games installed. I've been told I can use Wine to install some windows programs and games, and I was wondering if its possible to install the following, my laptop isn't built for gaming which is the main reason why Linux made more sense than Windows 7 -- but there are a few games I'll never stop playing as long as I'll live, mainly because of nostalgia and partly because they are awesome, here are the games:

Black an white 2
Amnesia the Dark Descent
Vampire the Masquerade

theres a few others but they are listed as supported in Wine, the others I'll have to install as unlisted -- but where do I start? Is it possible with the aforementioned games? Or will I have to seek out something alternative to wine to get the installation to work?

I'm also aware that Amnesia is available for Linux, but I'd at least like to try to get it working with the windows version before having to buy another copy. This is the game i'm struggling with the most -- since it's native to linux aswell as windows/mac so alot of the pages with installation tips are written bearing in mind that its native and not a virtual install.

Wolfman

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:44:13 pm

Hi,

go here:

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

And:

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html

(For the above link, you want the "Natty" packages, assuming you have Zorin 5 installed!!)

Regards Wolfman :D

Deadly Ernest

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:21:40 am

G'day,

The best you can do is to load them using Play on Linux or WINE and see how they go.

Cedega is based on WINE and some of the people who work on WINE work for Cedega, it is a bit more advanced than WINE - last I heard they do charge a fee to to up to date.

The bulk of the people who work on WINE also work for CodeWeavers and they write a program called CrossOver, again, it's ahead of the curve when compared to WINE, but what they do there usually ends up in WINE a couple of releases later.

One thing to remember is when you install a game in WINE select the version of Windows that BEST suits the game you wish to play. As that varies the sub-routines that WINE calls, so a game designed for Win 95 / 98 is best loaded in WINE with that selected as the install version of Windows, while one designed for Win XP is best with XP selected as the install version of Windows. This is done in the Configure Wine settings.

regards,

Ernest

Solidor

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:09:18 am

Thanks for the advice and links guys, ended up just learning how to use wine a little better -- I managed to get Vampite the Masquerade working (only in windowed mode, but I prefer windowed mode for vtmb so not an issue) and black and white worked perfectly fine also. But Amnesia I'm stuck with, I installed it to a virtual drive with linux and made a shortcut with the launcher. However, I keep getting an error report that something has gone wrong with the launcher. I tried a fresh install an got the same information, but I've switched on Debug mode to get a report and unfortunately can't make heads nor tails of it, is there any way I can get a copy of the logfile to show you guys?