This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Reinstall windows

Timk101

Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:08:38 pm

Hi all. Newbie mistake trying to dual bbot and ended up with just zorin.
No I have zorin installed.
A recovery USB stick for Windows.
No idea how to make it work
Please help

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:32:06 pm

Have you still got data on your Windows partition? If so I would advise you use Zorin if you can boot into it, to access your user/s folders and backup first everything of importance that isn't backed up already in your User folder in Windows. Similarly, backup your /home folder in Zorin if there are things of importance that need saving. Which version of Windows is it? 10? ;) :D

carmar

Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:27:20 pm

I'm guessing no grub menu appears giving a Windows option? I get that additional option on my desktop after boot manager asks me the first time.

mdiemer

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:53:41 pm

What method did you use to install Zorin? The "alongside Windows" one, or the "something else" one?
If the first, Zorin should not have overwritten Windows. If the second, you should have a partition, where Windows was, and hopefully still is.

I would make a free Macrium Recovery disc, and use it to try and rescue Windows. I have used it many times after dual booting adventures, and have always gotten windows to boot again. What may have happened is the windows boot manager may been damaged or removed. Macrium will restore it, and windows will then boot. This assumes of course that Windows is still there. If it got over-written, only sophisticated efforts to recover data will work.