This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

should I delete apic.mod

Hollymon novice

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:18:21 am

Having less to do lately in outside world I decided to pull out my old 2005 HP Pavilion 'Media Center' with perfectly functional but obsolete XP and a 64 x 2 AMD Athlon 4200 processor with 2mg RAM and try something new. I figured the USB boot and used multiple versions mint and several others with the same error '8254 timer not connected to IO-apic' and so on. I thought just installing over XP might solve it so I allowed installation to erase my windows and install. After 50 -75 or more unsuccessful reboot attempts reinstalls cups of coffee... I thought maybe I should do some research. So for the last 3 days I have burned my eyes looking at forums you tubers source forge major geeks etc and finally got a little help with it so I was able to add a command 'radeon.modeset=0 noapic' to the boot at the end of the linux line (the hours trying to figure out how to find boot is a tale for another time) to finally get me to here a 'safe' version of Zorin actually booted from my hard drive which will go away if I reboot but at least now I know what 'e' is for. I ran a program -from a usb download using my old but less old windows computer running Win 10- called Award Bios Editor and after downloading lots of windows apps in Zorin for it to work I was somehow able to locate in the i386 folder (while still in Zorin) a file called apic,mod. So here I am days later and living in the land fill that has become my living room staring at this vile file with my finger trembling over the delete key realizing that I really hate the apic and want it gone. Then I remember saying bye to my XP unbacked up and with no key or recovery disks and well I joined the forum so thats where I am: living again in the land of uncertainty. Anybody think I should just delete the file? Cause I'm open to suggestion. Steve H

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:55:03 am