This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Automatic Update for all updates?

sunshine999

Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:40:46 am

Is there anyway to auto update all updates without the user being asked. I am planning to trial in a small business environment and don't want them to be bothered because some will keep putting them off.

I know The Grid software is coming out where this can be managed but I just want them to install automatically, probably when the machine is switched off at the end of the day would be a good way to go. Or anytime would be agood as long as it gets done.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:06:43 am

This guide is actually for Ubuntu Server but you could give it a try on one machine to see if it works:

https://libre-software.net/ubuntu-automatic-updates/

sunshine999

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12:20 am

Thanks Swarfendor437 will take a look.

It would be really good is Zorin can do something with this because for most users they just want updates & if Zorin want to take on Windows the it's important to have things like this streamlined. The prompts can be for us tech folkes who want to review first.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22:11 am

You could start a post in 'Brainstorm' section and PM the link to AZorin.

viewforum.php?f=9

It would be good if they could talk to the FerenOS Dev who has done this on Cinnamon DE and KDE Plasma. The only annoyance with the Feren OS version is that there are prompts in the taskbar to update when you try it says it is locked by another process (autoupdate). Feren OS is visually stunning and has a menu similar to the other OS at version 1909! That said, only Zorin is an inclusive OS for all users - by that I mean it has the best deployment of Accessibility features at Zero Cost to the end user - Zorin is as far as I can tell the ONLY OS (exception is Vinux) that deploys the Screen reader well. You have a familiar menu for Windows 7 users, a free office suite and Evolution Mail is compliant with Active Directory. Don't forget about Zorin Connect - you can create presentations in html and use your Android device as the interactive screen controller! Don't forget to download the Unofficial manual that I authored from the link here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14361#p63543

sunshine999

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:25:03 am

Thanks for the info. I have created a post in Feeback but will move to Brainstorming.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:51:47 am

Just remembered, there are some items that will not get autoupdated - these are apps that are not in the 'approved third party apps'. For example, if you wanted to deploy Opera as the preferred browser it does not automatically update as it is closed source browser and has to be done manually - this is just one example. I am starting to use TextMaker Office 2018 it's easier on the eye than the other stable's offering but not as versatile as LibreOffice - TextMaker Office has an annoying 'hyphenation' rule that can't be overridden which is not helpful for me working from home having to manually keep turning it off! ;) :D

sunshine999

Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:06:10 am

Hi there, I have followed the instructions and run the test as it states but it says there is no updates. This is on a newly installed sytem and the builting update software is saying updates available. Any ideas at all?

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:24:34 am

The autoupdate software was for server usage - so for this to work you would need to install ubuntu server:

https://websiteforstudents.com/install- ... reenshots/

You may want to try this in VirtualBox before unleashing on your machine. ;) :D

UPDATE: https://www.itsupportguides.com/knowled ... p-updates/

The solution in the update hopefully should sort you out - did not show up in initial search previously. ;) :D