This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Copy and Paste not working

mawil1013

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:49:49 am

I'm using firefox and trying to select, copy and paste and web address. I think that I need to install third party driver for Dell touch Pad, anyone done this, fixed this, another fix??

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:00:02 pm

Hi, which touchpad is it? Synaptic or the ill-fated cypress touchpad? ;) :D

mawil1013

Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:51:09 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, which touchpad is it? Synaptic or the ill-fated cypress touchpad? ;) :D

Working on figuring that out for you, not familar with Zorin and Dell specs so far, I can't find the specifics yet, but I will get back, Dell Insprion 5575 - Reg Model P75F

Here's the funny thing: This dell ran win10, I installed standard Ubuntu and after selecting what I wanted to copyNpaste worked with the touch pad, then that stopped after I installed Zorin, then I installed Ubuntu again and couldn't get it copyNpaste after selecting or highlighting, so I installed zorin again.

carmar

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:59:27 pm

Not sure if this helps.
I have a NE56R34u Gateway. It used to run Vista. Was fine with Zorin right after the install. Then I started using a wireless mouse and about a month later I found that the touchpad stopped working even with mouse disconnected.
Couple of months later, I started using a wired mouse and the touchpad has started working again. Works fine whether or not I connect the wired mouse. Maybe it was something else but that was all I changed and the touchpad has been working fine.

But it seems like your touchpad is working, just not with copy paste.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:23:09 pm

I have discovered that you have an Alps touchpad. In 2017 there was an urgent firmware update released - did you install it?:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en ... op/drivers

mawil1013

Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:53:46 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I have discovered that you have an Alps touchpad. In 2017 there was an urgent firmware update released - did you install it?:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en ... op/drivers

Yep, I've kept it updated, but I got so worn out that looking for solutions, so that in my search for a Linux to try, I came across that ubuntu 20.04 beta was practically completed and about to be released with in two weeks, so I installed it and everything, I mean literally everything works. So that's where I'm going to land. Thank you for working hard to help with a fix.

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:08:02 am

Well at least you have a working Linux Box. I will have to see if Ubuntu has caught up with Fedora with regard to Simple Scan (now named Document Scanner) - On a Linux Magazine DVD I discovered Ubuntu 19.10 and Fedora 31 Workstation - both have Document Viewer but only Fedora picked up my scanner of my Canon all-in-one TS8151. ;) :D
Also you need to remember that forks of Ubuntu, like Zorin, need time to update to a stable version so 20.04 in Ubuntu might be with Zorin in a couple of months once testing has been exhausted and bearing in mind Zorin is comprised of two brothers. ;)