This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How Do You Add New Applets On The Right Side Of The Taskbar?

dralex

Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:51:49 am

Hello guys,

I was able to add "cpu ressources" or "system/memory ressources" applets on the right side of the taskbar/panel in Ubuntu with either the XFCE or the KDE desktop.

All I had to do was to right click on the panel, and "Add item" then I could add whatever applet I wanted.

But in Zorin OS 15 Core, not only the right click doesn't work on the taskbar, but there is no way I could find to do what I was able to do.

With this system ressource applet, I was able to see the CPU consumption in real time, and that was really neat.

I included a screenshot to show you where I want to add the system "real time monitor" applet.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:30:36 pm

Hi, I think that is down to how Team Zorin have setup the System Tray so it doesn't get over cluttered. I think your only option might be to add to favourites and then align right? ;) :D

Alternatively, see if there is anything on the gnome tweaks page - their might be a system tray applet add-on?

https://extensions.gnome.org/#

dralex

Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:49:46 pm

Wow awesome thank you very much! :)

I didn't know "gnome-tweaks" since I never used any gnome desktops before... only xfce and kde.

But I figured it out quickly.

Besides...is that normal that right clicking on the task bar doesn't do anything? I mean for example in the middle of the taskbar...

It's unusual to me, in most OSes you can see like the properties of the taskbar, etc

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:28:40 pm

It's been designed that way - if you want to make changes to the panel (size etc) you need to go to:

Menu | Settings | Appearance | Zorin Appearance. ;) :D

The Panel is used for your favourite apps and other little apps like Caps Lock, Shift, and Num Lock indicator (another useful tweak) - much of this covered in the unofficial manual I put together here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14361

When you fill up the left part of the panel with your favourite icons, just hold your mouse button to hover left or right to slide the ones you can't see into view. ;) :D

dralex

Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:02:38 pm

Oh ok. Understood!

Thanks for your amazingly quick replies! :D

Aravisian

Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:50:13 am

dralex wrote:Wow awesome thank you very much! :)

I didn't know "gnome-tweaks" since I never used any gnome desktops before... only xfce and kde.

But I figured it out quickly.

Besides...is that normal that right clicking on the task bar doesn't do anything? I mean for example in the middle of the taskbar...

It's unusual to me, in most OSes you can see like the properties of the taskbar, etc

It's unusual because it works that way on every D.E. aside from Gnome...
Gnome is unusual in that it wants to consider the basic appearance of Gnome to be its "brand image" and it tries to protect it by limiting functionality and customization. It has been an ongoing problem with Gnome while Gnome emulates Microsoft more and more over the years.
It is a big part of why I will never use Gnome, again. Zorin Lite uses XFCE D.E. and I am currently running Cinnamon D.E. on Zorin Lite since XFCE devs are behaving much like Gnome Devs these days and Bulldozing CSD's forward for XFCE 4.16 in spite of user (And other developer!) feedback strongly resisting it.