This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 15.2 Installation Fail!

zhvoto

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:20:43 pm

Hi,

I am a Linux noob, don't know how to code or use the prompt at all. I just switched my home computer to Linux mint and love it. I also switched my old Dell laptop to Zorin Lite with no issues. My 80 yr old mother has a 3 yr old Lenovo laptop with Win 10. I tried to install Zorin 15.2 on it. I followed all the directions just like I did with my old Dell. The install crashed several times and continually stated that something failed with the grub install. Unfortunately, I did not write the msg down. I researched the issue and saw an old fail concerning a old Mac that another person had trouble with. So I took the advice to uncheck the option to install 3rd party software and tried again. Same crash. Now when I try anything, the screen states ubi-partman failed with exit code 10 info found in /var/log/syslog/ Help!

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:04:33 pm

Hi, In the BIOS of the Lenovo you will have to change boot from EFI to legacy, disable Fast Boot, and disable Windows Boot Manager - change to 'Other OS' or 'Disabled' - don't know enough about Lenovo BIOS and Windows 10 settings in same. The other issue is that Notebook manufacturers tend to create 4 partitions - System, C drive (Windows), Partition at end for Drivers, then another one for System Restore - A choice will have to be made about removing one of these partitions if it is an HDD - if an SSD then it will have been setup using GPT bootloader instead of MBR - you will need to shring C:\ drive in any event if you are intending to make this dual-boot - if not just make sure you can boot into legacy mode first then wipe everything BUT NOT BEFORE BACKING UP CRITICAL DATA and any Browser bookmarks Granny might have! ;) :D