This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

zorin lite & windows shares

tuckson

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:51:01 am

Hi,

Form our Zorin Lite desktop I would like to get some fiels from a windows share. However the defautl filemanager seems not capable of connecting to such a resource. Am I doing wrong or do I need to install something extra?

If not, would installing antoher filemanager be the solution and if so, which one would be suitable (taking in account the fact that there is a reason for running lite in stead of the regular version ;) )?

THIA, Eric

tuckson

Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:09:22 pm

Hi,

No, Lite comes with PCManFM. Guess Nautilus and Dolphin are consired too heavy? The funny thing is that from My linux Mint machine I have no problem connecting to either my Windows xp of my Windows 7 machine. Have several pcś in a network here, the windows machines are to be accessed from all pc's. Works most of the time, except from Zorin Lite.

hottyson

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:49:26 pm

I am a Microsoft Windows user. I am in search of a Linux distro that will work within my home network environment of Microsoft Windows computers.

I too just tried Zorin Lite. I could not connect to my media shares on my other Windows XP and Windows 7 machines. Also, it would not find my printer that is also on one of the Windows XP machines.

I am afraid that if I can not solve this problem, I shall have to continue my search for a new OS. As far as I can tell, Zorin seems very polished and simple and I would like to make the switch to a Linux distro this year.

hottyson

Thu May 03, 2012 2:38:59 am

swarfendor437 wrote:This solution may help you!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1596&p=5295#p5295

Thank you very much for the assistance.

As the link suggested, I installed pyNeighborhood. It did not resolve my issue of not seeing my shares from my windows computers over my network. Other than that Zorin is the most solid Distro that I have found. Macpup is still king on my computer since it can see my network with ease using the Samba shares helper program Pnethood that was located in the helpful software installer. I will stick with Macpup and continue to recommend it to all of my friends and coworkers until this Zorin network problem is sorted out.

hottyson

Thu May 03, 2012 4:56:34 am

Here is what Zorin gives me when I try to navigate the Windows network:

Wolfman

Thu May 03, 2012 5:12:24 am

Hi,

did you de-install "winbind" as suggested in the other post?. (The link Swarf provided!)

See also:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

And:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605

Regards Wolfman :D