This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

how to prevent start menu appear when holding super

quenyan

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:01:55 am

okay, first bug i've found on ZORIN.
when pressing super/window key, the start menu appear, thats normal.
when holding super/window key, the start menu appear, thats not normal.
when holding super+T, it opens start menu and terminal, that's not what i need.
how to fix this?

Aravisian

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:46:37 am

It's not a bug, that is by design... It is also complained about pretty frequently. Since I use Zorin Lite, it is easy to change, but I am not sure about Zorin Core which uses Gnome.
Swarf?!?

You might take a look here:
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help ... et.html.en

The comments here are interesting and show how much people disagree on key assignments
https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/KeyboardShortcuts

quenyan

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:31:17 am

Aravisian wrote:It's not a bug, that is by design... It is also complained about pretty frequently. Since I use Zorin Lite, it is easy to change, but I am not sure about Zorin Core which uses Gnome.
Swarf?!?

You might take a look here:
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help ... et.html.en

The comments here are interesting and show how much people disagree on key assignments
https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/KeyboardShortcuts

im using lite version of zorin too, how to change it then?

Aravisian

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:34:30 am

quenyan wrote:im using lite version of zorin too, how to change it then?

I am using Lite, but not using the XFCE Desktop. I am using Cinnamon, instead.
However, in XFCE, you can open your Apps menu, then go to the Settings Category, then to Keyboard in the Applications list.
In the Keyboard Pop-over, select the tab for keyboard Shortcuts.
From there you can eliminate Pre-programmed shortcuts and add new shortcuts.
To add a new shortcut, click 'new', then enter the command you want a shortcut for, then it will give you a prompt on your next button press to press the keys you want mapped to that command.
This applies to XFCE 4.12 and 4.14.

I am not sure where the code is for mapping the Super Key to the Apps menu In the Manner that Zorin OS does. On the Cin desktop I am using on Zorin, which was installed entirely by me and No Zorin developer had anything to do with- pressing the super key pops up the app menu. I have not bothered changing that, but on my previous Zorin 15 install with XFCE 4.14, I re-mapped it easily with no issues using the above method.

If you search the issue "Zorin OS Super key" you can find a great deal of hits on the topic showing that since Zorin 6 or so, many users have complained that Zorin does not emulate Windows function in hitting the Windows key popping up the Start Menu.
This feature was added- and now many people are annoyed with it:D
There is also this thread for Core, Gnome:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14666
in which Artyom Zorin addresses an issue with the function.

If you are Unable to Remap to your liking; that is, you remap but pressing a combo like "super+z" opens the app menu instead of completing to perform the mapped command that you wanted, you may be experiencing the same bug- so Please Say So if that happens.

quenyan

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48:36 am

Aravisian wrote:
quenyan wrote:im using lite version of zorin too, how to change it then?

I am using Lite, but not using the XFCE Desktop. I am using Cinnamon, instead.
However, in XFCE, you can open your Apps menu, then go to the Settings Category, then to Keyboard in the Applications list.
In the Keyboard Pop-over, select the tab for keyboard Shortcuts.
From there you can eliminate Pre-programmed shortcuts and add new shortcuts.
To add a new shortcut, click 'new', then enter the command you want a shortcut for, then it will give you a prompt on your next button press to press the keys you want mapped to that command.
This applies to XFCE 4.12 and 4.14.

I am not sure where the code is for mapping the Super Key to the Apps menu In the Manner that Zorin OS does. On the Cin desktop I am using on Zorin, which was installed entirely by me and No Zorin developer had anything to do with- pressing the super key pops up the app menu. I have not bothered changing that, but on my previous Zorin 15 install with XFCE 4.14, I re-mapped it easily with no issues using the above method.

If you search the issue "Zorin OS Super key" you can find a great deal of hits on the topic showing that since Zorin 6 or so, many users have complained that Zorin does not emulate Windows function in hitting the Windows key popping up the Start Menu.
This feature was added- and now many people are annoyed with it:D
There is also this thread for Core, Gnome:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14666
in which Artyom Zorin addresses an issue with the function.

If you are Unable to Remap to your liking; that is, you remap but pressing a combo like "super+z" opens the app menu instead of completing to perform the mapped command that you wanted, you may be experiencing the same bug- so Please Say So if that happens.

okay, basically it is solved by remapping the key without using [super] key then...it is very unfortunate to see if that is the zorin feature, i hope they consider do something about it in the future. i personally can prevent my self using the super key combination, i can just hit [super] key and find what app to execute, I do this more often than combination key.

Aravisian

Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:29:30 am

quenyan wrote:okay, basically it is solved by remapping the key without using [super] key then...it is very unfortunate to see if that is the zorin feature, i hope they consider do something about it in the future. i personally can prevent my self using the super key combination, i can just hit [super] key and find what app to execute, I do this more often than combination key.

Hmmm, this comment implies that you were unable to re-map using the Super key as you wanted and had to make an alternative mapping.
Let me try sending a PM to Azorin and see if we can get any help.

quenyan

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:05:37 am

Aravisian wrote:
quenyan wrote:okay, basically it is solved by remapping the key without using [super] key then...it is very unfortunate to see if that is the zorin feature, i hope they consider do something about it in the future. i personally can prevent my self using the super key combination, i can just hit [super] key and find what app to execute, I do this more often than combination key.

Hmmm, this comment implies that you were unable to re-map using the Super key as you wanted and had to make an alternative mapping.
Let me try sending a PM to Azorin and see if we can get any help.

cool then, I hope for the best of this OS.

AZorin

Tue May 05, 2020 7:06:51 pm

Regarding the Super key clashing with other shortcuts, this is a known issue and there currently isn't a full fix for it. In order to work around this issue, you can open Zorin Appearance, and in the Panel tab under the "Menu" section, change the "Left Super Key" option to "Activities Overview".

After doing this, you can re-map the Zorin menu keyboard shortcut by opening the Zorin menu > Settings > Devices > Keyboard. Under the "System" section of Keyboard Shortcuts, click on the "Show the activities overview" option and set the desired keyboard shortcut. This will actually set the keyboard shortcut to open the Zorin menu (not the activities overview) if Zorin menu is in the panel.

quenyan

Wed May 06, 2020 4:41:32 am

AZorin wrote:you can open Zorin Appearance, and in the Panel tab under the "Menu" section, change the "Left Super Key" option to "Activities Overview".

there's only "Desktop", "Theme", and "Font" on the Zorin Appearance's Tab Menus. anyway, I already get used to not using Super shortcut, since I only use it in a very rare occation. I can just tap Super key and type the apps name. So, there's no need to fred over some feature that we cannot get for now.

Aravisian

Wed May 06, 2020 5:33:41 am

quenyan wrote:
AZorin wrote:you can open Zorin Appearance, and in the Panel tab under the "Menu" section, change the "Left Super Key" option to "Activities Overview".

there's only "Desktop", "Theme", and "Font" on the Zorin Appearance's Tab Menus. anyway, I already get used to not using Super shortcut, since I only use it in a very rare occation. I can just tap Super key and type the apps name. So, there's no need to fred over some feature that we cannot get for now.

The instructions that Artyom Zorin gave are in regards to Zorin Core or Ultimate with Gnome desktop.
So that would explain the discrepancy.