This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Package system is broken

ChrisC

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:46:38 am

I installed Zorin OS Lite on an old laptop (a Dell D630) in December last year and used it for a couple of weeks without any problem. I have not used the machine for the last few months and after switching it on today I thought that ought to download the software updates. However, when I tried to do this I got a message saying 'The package system is broken'. I have not been able to resolve the issue - can anyone suggest a solution?

Chris

Aravisian

Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:37:26 am

There is an unmet dependency in the installations when you run the updater.
If you can give a fuller account of what you see on your screen, we might be able to narrow down which package is giving you trouble.
Otherwise, if you can see a message in that pop up which shows which packages are broken or have unmet dependencies, you can try to fix that in terminal.
Note the name of the package or packages.
For each one, enter in terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y <PACKAGE NAME>

where <PACKAGE NAME> is replaced with the name of the package.
The "-y" tells apt to install missing dependencies if they are referenced. The "-f" that you could also use (sudo apt-get install -f) tells apt to Force the installation.
If they successfully install, then try running the updater again.

OR
In terminal, enter
Code:
sudo apt-get update

to update your sources
then
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

ChrisC

Sun May 03, 2020 7:53:40 am

Thanks Aravisian. I didn't have enough information about what was causing the problem to try your first suggestion so I tried the second. This failed to install the updates but it did reveal that the problem was with LibreOffice and its dependencies. I uninstalled LO and ran the two commands again. They worked and the updates were all installed. Many thanks for your help with this problem.

Chris