This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Crashing on login

wubbub57

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:12:58 pm

So I just found an old desktop computer of mine that was running windows vista and I thought I would try to revitalize it by installing Zorin 15.2 Lite 32 bit on it and It was running fine for a couple of days. Now when I start it up it is running fine, I unlock the crypt, and then when I log in to my account on the computer it freezes and the only way I can get into the system is by using the Xfce session as opposed to the Zorin OS lite desktop. It sometimes even freezes when I run the Xfce session. Is this because the computer can't handle the Zorin OS? or is something else going on? I'm also new to Linux in general. I'm not sure what specs for the computer you would need to know but it is a Compaq Presario. It has a 64 bit AMD Athlon Processor LE-1640, SIngle core with 2700 MHz. It has 2GB of RAM. It has 250GB of hard drive space. I also did not leave windows vista on the system for dual-boot, I completely erased the drive when installing Zorin.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 01, 2020 8:28:19 pm

Did you let the installer do an automatic install? It is much better if you do a manual installation (the something else method). Please advise.

Aravisian

Fri May 01, 2020 9:11:13 pm

I do not think the computer specs are the cause of crashing. And I just saw another thread mention that their machine is freezing/crashing. In the meantime, I also noticed that Zorin Updates have gone through.
The updates included the Latest Kernel.

I might suggest rolling back the kernel to the previous working version and see if that is the cause.

wubbub57

Mon May 04, 2020 11:08:19 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Did you let the installer do an automatic install? It is much better if you do a manual installation (the something else method). Please advise.

Yeah, I did the automatic install, should I reinstall the OS and do it manually? Also, what would I need to do for the manual installation?

Swarfendor437

Mon May 04, 2020 4:52:27 pm

Hi, If you download my manual (if I haven't updated it, apologies) - in a brief nutshell.

1. At start of drive create a 50 Mb FAT32 partition for EFI/ESP - if your machine's BIOS supports EFI.
2. If you have an SSD inside no need for swap area/linux swap - if SSD create a 50 Gb '/' (system partition) formatted to Ext2 (Ext3 and Ext4 are journaling systems which will mean your drive won't last as long due to continual read/writes). If your machine is SSD only would advise a trad HDD - once you delete a file off SSD you cannot recover it - that is why modern top end notebooks have SSD for System and HDD for Data. Whatever is left after the '/' partition format to Ext2 also and mark as '/home' - you will also need to set up TRIM (Windows does this automatically - not so in Linux): https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... ux-servers.
3. If your drive is a traditional HDD
a. EFI FAT32 partition at start of drive of 50 Mb
b. '/' formatted to Ext4 (50 Gb0
c. whatever is left after '/' create an extended (logical) partition - inside of that create the swap area at the END of the extended partition - should be double the amount of physical RAM in your machine - all the space in front to the left of that should be marked as '/home' format to Ext4. :D