This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

printing preference

quenyan

Sat May 02, 2020 4:48:18 am

Zorin Lite user here,
I had a little trouble on setting the paper size for printing. I dont use any paper size other than Folio (which is around 21.55 cm x 32.495 cm, or 8.48 inch x 12.79 inch). Zorin does have printer menu that can be accessed from zorin search menu called "Printers" and then it shows available printers, right click on the printer and select properties, select "printer option" from the list, and on the media size <this is where the error is> , user cannot add custom size other than selecting one from the list. So, I have to use the alternative setting using CUPS which can be accessed from the browser with the address localhost:631. now, the 2nd problem arise, we cannot edit any settings, as the user password input does not pop up, it's like that the user is not the root. so, for the 2nd problem, I solved it by editing the cupsd file ( located in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf ) using sudo nano. At this line below:
Code:
<Limit CUPS-add-modify-printer bla bla bla get-devices>
AuthType None
#AuthType Default
#Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>

just opt out the authtype default and require user using # sign, and add AuthType None in the line. and lastly do:
Code:
sudo service cups restart

now we can add custom size for the paper. I hope this small problem can be taking care of in the future release. Wish zorin for the bezt of on Earth.

Swarfendor437

Sat May 02, 2020 11:35:40 am

Hi, As far as I can tell this is not just a Zorin issue but Linux in General - this might solve your issue though:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/102 ... s-to-a-ppd

quenyan

Sat May 02, 2020 2:01:54 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, As far as I can tell this is not just a Zorin issue but Linux in General - this might solve your issue though:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/102 ... s-to-a-ppd

tbh, puppy cups was just fine, and ubuntu mate also has ability to add custom size in printter settings(outside the cups)

Swarfendor437

Sun May 03, 2020 12:58:24 pm

Perhaps you could PM AZorin for this to be included in future updates and also in Development | Brainstorm section of the forum. ;) :D

quenyan

Mon May 04, 2020 2:59:31 am

just for comparison, I give some examples, which i hope will clarify my intention.

===============================================================
in Puppy Linux (comes with CUPS version 2.2.7, same as Zorin)
No login needed just go in straight without any security administration.

===============================================================
in Lubuntu (comes with CUPS version 2.3.1, newer i guess)
Login is a must here, this is the LIVE version of Lubuntu, don't know if I installed it, but I guess it will be the same. after making password in LIVE using "sudo -i" and "passwd", I can login into CUPS just fine, in LIVE.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 04, 2020 4:43:47 pm

I'm just waiting for the people at SANE to update their protocols to accept my all-in-one (works in Fedora Workstation 31) - someone posted on a forum that if they use a script it is identified but does not work with SANE - I could then use LIOS (Linux Intelligent OCR Software) for work from home! ;) :D

quenyan

Tue May 05, 2020 2:45:18 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I'm just waiting for the people at SANE to update their protocols to accept my all-in-one (works in Fedora Workstation 31) - someone posted on a forum that if they use a script it is identified but does not work with SANE - I could then use LIOS (Linux Intelligent OCR Software) for work from home! ;) :D

i dont really know what you meant, but....uh...okay... ;)

Swarfendor437

Tue May 05, 2020 1:41:18 pm

quenyan wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:I'm just waiting for the people at SANE to update their protocols to accept my all-in-one (works in Fedora Workstation 31) - someone posted on a forum that if they use a script it is identified but does not work with SANE - I could then use LIOS (Linux Intelligent OCR Software) for work from home! ;) :D

http://sane-project.org/

quenyan

Wed May 06, 2020 1:59:50 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:
quenyan wrote:

http://sane-project.org/

ah i see, scanner project eh.