This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] 1. reinstalled OS 2. which wine?

carmar

Sun May 03, 2020 9:57:51 pm

Hope it's ok to have 2 different category questions in one thread.

Category 'reinstalled OS':
I finally got around to reinstalling my OS.
Steps:
1. Chose "something else" method.
2. Set old Root partition as new Root partition.
3. Left remaining partitions (old Home and old Swap) as-is.
I notice that my new Home doesn't have any of my old files. Instead, under Other Locations, it shows two items: "Computer" and my old Home partition as "389GB volume" (same original size and all files are present).
Q1. Any easy approach to repartitioning the Home partition to include the old one?
Q2. Will I have problems with my new Home being only ~2GB? I don't know how the system plans to use more space if it needs it.
Output of
Code:
df -h
(ignore the sandisk, it's a USB drive):
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 1.8G 0 1.8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 376M 1.6M 374M 1% /run
/dev/sda1 94G 11G 78G 13% /
tmpfs 1.9G 32M 1.9G 2% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 376M 60K 376M 1% /run/user/1000
/dev/sda5 357G 191G 148G 57% /media/bebe/980d437e-39f7-4fe1-a221-6580c4fefc5f
/dev/sdb1 120G 37G 84G 31% /media/bebe/sandisk

Category 'which wine?':
I can use Aravisian's instructions here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15352&p=69240 or here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15415
but I'm wondering if I can just use Synaptic. Which should I select from the attached pic?
I can't tell if it should be wine-stable or winehq-stable.

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 04, 2020 4:29:49 pm

If you are reinstalling you should follow my how-to which leaves your existing /home intact:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14472

I would advise you go for wine-stable - that should pickup the 64-bit element if you have the 64-bit of Zorin installed. ;) :D

carmar

Mon May 04, 2020 7:19:45 pm

Thanks. I'll keep that link in mind, I screwed-up by not labeling /home but it's not a big deal since the files are still there.
Thanks for the wine response too.

I'm getting broken package warnings. So far, I noticed them for P7zip (which shows as installed) and Wine (which does not show as installed, even though I haven't even installed it yet). Using
Code:
sudo apt full-upgrade
did some installations but did not fix the broken packages. Any idea on what I should try?

Aravisian

Mon May 04, 2020 10:24:00 pm

carmar wrote:Thanks. I'll keep that link in mind, I screwed-up by not labeling /home but it's not a big deal since the files are still there.
Thanks for the wine response too.

I'm getting broken package warnings. So far, I noticed them for P7zip (which shows as installed) and Wine (which does not show as installed, even though I haven't even installed it yet). Using
Code:
sudo apt full-upgrade
did some installations but did not fix the broken packages. Any idea on what I should try?

You could try the terminal "fix-broken" command.
http://www.iasptk.com/ubuntu-fix-broken ... -solution/
Be warned, a lot of the time it merely removes the package if enough dependencies cannot be met. I usually do it manually by searching the dependencies, finding which are missing and then finding them on pkgs.org and installing each, then installing the broken package again.

carmar

Mon May 04, 2020 10:48:05 pm

Thanks. Seems like a clean reinstall is the best option.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 05, 2020 11:51:12 am

7-zip in Linux is a command line tool - you can use the Windows version - once you have WINE installed.
Good luck with the reinstall - don't forget to use Ctrl+ H to show all hidden files in your /home folder and back them up before proceeding with fresh install.

carmar

Tue May 05, 2020 10:02:01 pm

Thanks. All done reinstalling and Wine also on. :)